Read 1321 times

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
spilled nail polish and now with a floor issue
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
Just a few questions.

I dropped a bottle of nail polish on the floor and it broke. I cleaned it up as best as I could and as quickly as I could, however it wasn't good enough.

So...I took some nail polish remover to get the last bits. Which worked!

However what I didn't know was that there's a layer of plastic covering my floor and the acetone ate it and I was left with some discolouration. I  cleaned everything else up fairly quickly and was left with smaller than a post it note circle. In the middle of my studio apartment.

My question is how much will I be liable for that small discoloration. The apartment is otherwise good as new. I've seen other apartments and they're just...bad.

I've been thinking about trying to replace or fix it, but I wouldn't even know how to go about that. Any advice?

Re: spilled nail polish and now with a floor issue
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:48 am »
What is your floor made from?  If it is the wood patterned linoleum that is rolled out in big sheets it is easily and frequently replaced.  You shouldn't have to pay for that when you move out since it is normal for the next tenant to ask the landlord to replace it, along with the wallpaper. 

That kind of flooring comes in a range of prices and qualities from cheap and disposable to more expensive and durable.  If they bought the nicest variety there might be some trouble.  Still the nicer kinds are "tiles" of "wood" and only a small are would need to be replaced.  Again you shouldn't be the one paying for that if you lived there at least a year.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:42:32 am »
That all depends on how your apartment manager reacts.  When I moved into my apartment I had stickers on the wall and the floor had holes in it that were patched over with cheap contact paper (although in my situation my apartment is owned by the school and I doubt the apt manager looked into it).  Still though it shouldn't be too much of a worry or cost.

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:12:22 am »
It's not the cheap stuff and I saw a store in town that looks like it sells the same kind of flooring, so I don't really think it'd be all that expensive or hard to fix.

And after everything is said and done I will have lived in the same apartment for 3.5 years. I don't think I've ever had any problems with it yet. *knocks on wood* Not even a blown light bulb.