Read 1666 times

• Superstar
  • Waygookin

• October 25, 2010, 12:13:28 pm
    • korea
Tattoo
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:32:20 am »
I know this has been posted before, for some reason can't seem to find it. Was just curious.. Do you have to cover your tattoos when you go to school? If so, what do you use? Thanks in advance.

PS... I really don't need to hear how it is trashy for a teacher to have a tattoo. so if you can't help... rather refrain from commenting thank you.

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
Re: Tattoo
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:50 am »
I have one on my wrist.  If it is too hot to wear long-sleeves, I will wear a tennis wristband.  Usually I get a few "teacher new fashion?" from students and that's about it.

If it's on a place that cannot be covered with clothing that would be significantly more difficult.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:57 am »
To the OP, I have a half sleeve on my right, and another fairly large tattoo on my upper-left.  When I worked at a hagwon, I always wore jeans and t-shirts. My tattoos were always showing, except during winter. The owner didn't care at all, and neither did most of the kids.  Just the occasional kids wanting to touch it and asking if it hurt.  At my public middle school, I always wear long sleeve shirts.  Even during brutally hot summer days.  My co-teachers know I have them and don't care, but it's a huge distraction for the students in my experience.  Not only that, it legitimately scares the hell out of some of the middle school girls.  A lot of rural Koreans think that tattoos are always equated with being into organized crime.  Just keep that in mind.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:02:14 am »
I suppose it would vary from school to school. I've been teaching at the same public middle school for four years now. I have a half sleeve on one arm and a smaller one visible on the other. I asked permission to wear short sleeves in the summer, and the principal approved.

I agree they can be a distraction, but usually just the first time the students see it. They will have a few questions, and then it's right back to work. I haven't had any students react in negative manner, but again different reactions from different people. I usually just hear "Teacher. Good." ;D

If you want to wear short sleeves and cover your tattoos, I know a few people who buy sleeve covers. A quick Google search led me to this site. http://www.tat2x.com/cover-a-tattoo-s/1817.htm

I'd shop around if this was what you might consider. I don't know how the prices match up from site to site.
"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:04 am »
I have a tattoo. It's not very large and on my shoulder/collarbone. It's usually well hidden with clothing, but when it sometimes peeks out of collars of shirts or dresses. My co-teachers know I have one and some of my middle school students do too. I've never been told to always keep it covered.

It's only been a slight distraction when it was first seen  by my students, in that they wanted to see the whole thing and ask me questions about it. I told the students I could not show them during class, but if they wanted to see after class, I would show them. None of them think it's weird and most of them think it's "pretty" or "cute" (mind you i work in an all girls school).

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:52 am »
It really depends on the school. I know some teachers who told their school and the school was cool with it.

They are on your arms and you want to wear short sleeves shirts I think the best thing do would be to ask you co teacher before you show them.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:53:07 am »
I have almost 30 hours of work on me at this point, and not a single one of my students has ever known. (Though a few co-teacher do, and are more intrigued than put-off.) Gotta cover up unless someone in charge explicitly tells you it's okay.

And on that: Don't ask directly or they might feel compelled to say OK even if they're not sure, if they're shy or not the in-charge type. If you really want an honest awareness of how the tattoos will go over without making anyone uncomfortable, wait until a social event (like a dinner) and find a way to slip it into conversation with a more progressive co-teacher that you have a tattoo (or more than one.) Gauge their response. If they are positive about it, mention that you always cover it at work.

If they think it's fine to show it during work, they will probably say so. If not, they will be able to say nothing (or agree with you that it's a good idea to cover it) and no one has to feel uncomfortable or lose face.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
I'm a girl with tattoos on each wrist, collarbone, knee and foot. My students see them from time to time, no one has ever told me to cover them up. They are tasteful and not distracting, usually my students just want to know what they mean/say and let it go at that. I'm at an all-boys middle school and I think it has earned me some "cool" points.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:17 pm »
It depends from school to school. Been at three schools and never had any problems with my full sleeve on one arm and quarter sleeve on the other. i take 5 minutes out of the first day of class to explain to my 8-12 years old and they get over it pretty fast. life goes on.