Read 12282 times

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2014, 06:34:16 pm
    • Korea
Buying Women's Clothing - Question for Ladies!
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:23:10 pm »
Hey all,

I've just moved to Korea. I'm going to be buying clothing at some point, and I'm wondering, what is the biggest women's clothing size you can buy in Korea? Mainly for pants and shorts and such. In America I'm a size 10/12 - will I be able to find anything?

Finding bras or shoes here is already out of the question for me (unless I want men's shoes, which will likely happen at some point).

Also, has anyone had clothes shipped from the States? How much did it cost?

-Claire

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
Re: Buying Women's Clothing - Question for Ladies!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:59 pm »
Hi Im around the same size. You shouldn't have a problem here.
a 10-12 is around a size 77 in Korea (roughly) It could be a little less depending on your body.

Skirts - you will be fine....try to find ones with the elastic waist bands.

Dresses - Be careful here. They may fit in the lower torso, but Korean dresses (especially fitted "free size" dresses are really small in the arm, shoulder, and bust areas.
Maxi dresses that are "free size" or XL will fit fine. They are much looser. If its too baggy, just secure with a belt :)

Leggings - You can easily find them here. buy the biggest size. If you are tall, (I am 5'9) it will be harder to find leggings that are long enough and after a few washes they may shrink a little if they are polyester.

Pants: I honestly buy pants online because I have a bit of a bootie and im really picky about pants.
But you can find pants at H&M and forever 21. There are many other places to buy but Im not much of a pants expert here.

Shoes: Most big box  and department stores carry up to a size 250 (size 8.5/9)   
Always ask if they have your size. On the price tag at big box shoe places, it will tell you the sizes they carry.
If you see a cute little shoe place on the street or in the markets, they usually carry up to a size 240 sadly :(
If your shoe size is bigger than 250, I suggest online (see links below) Some gmarket stores carry larger sizes. 

Good online shopping for clothing:
www.gmarket.com - shipping is free (usually)
www.asos.com (UK site....great for pants. Arrive within 3 weeks) Shipping around $20
www.modcloth.com (US site...... fast shipping. Arrives within 2-3 weeks) Shipping around $30

**note on online shopping.**
Korean customs will tax you (around 60,000) for buying retail items that value over 120,000 won.
If you buy online and order alot, put it into two separate orders in order to save on import tax fees.

hope that helps
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:12:30 pm by stemarty »

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:44:29 pm »
sooo i guess this is technically supposed to be a thread for the wimminz but just want to say one thing: don't let the fact that you might be buying clothes here that are size Large or even Xtra Large get you down. I'm 1.81m tall and weigh 65kg. back in South Africa I'd buy t-shirts, jackets etc. usually in a size Small. sometimes a medium depending on the fit. But 90% of the time here in Korea I buy stuff that's size Large. sometimes medium. so i've gone up 1-2 sizes just be being here haha  :laugh:

• fizzyizzy
  • Waygookin

• February 17, 2014, 06:15:08 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 11:26:20 pm »
Payless does shoes in bigger sizes, and the US sizes are on the box along with the Korean sizes.

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2014, 06:34:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:58:45 am »
Thanks for the info, everyone, especially the info about the tax! Really useful to know.

The actual size on the label doesn't really bother me as long as I can find something that will fit me. I'm kind of picky with my jeans as well (I've got VERY muscly legs, most skinny jeans that will fit my waist won't even fit my calves) so I was expecting a little trouble in finding some. I'll head to the nearest H&M to look when I need some. Also, I just heard that Old Navy has started shipping to South Korea.  :police:

As far as shoes go, I'm a size 10 womens (8.5 men) so there's no way I'm really going to find shoes unless I trek to Seoul to go to Payless. I'm not a really big shoe person though - before I came here I dropped money on a few pairs of high quality ones that will last the whole time I'm here.

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:40:08 am »
I'm roughly the same shoe size as you, and I've found a surprising amount of shoes here. A lot of them are unisex sneaker type shoes like vans/ chucks, etc but they also sell some leather lace up shoes in stores like ABC Mart. I live in a relatively small 'city'. I also find that it is an odd size and on the small end of the male spectrum so that size is almost always on sale.

P.S. Someone wrote that shipping from ASOS is $20, but I have never had to pay a dime. Usually you only pay shipping if you want priority shipping. Because of this I stagger my purchases to avoid going over the limit and having to pay tax.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:09:23 am »

. Also, I just heard that Old Navy has started shipping to South Korea.  :police:

I personally have ordered from old navy and had them ship my orders here- I don't recommend it. My last order I placed back before American Thanksgiving, after it being lost, getting refunded, being found, having the money re-taken out of my card without authorization (not sure how they pulled that off), i threw a fit- got the shipping money returned (due to my threats LOL).

It's easier if you order from then and have it shipped to someone back home that would be willing to ship it to you- they don't have to claim the cost as being over the 120,000 that way either. they can just say "gift" or "clothes" and put the price around 100,000- works wonders!

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:20:22 am »

www.asos.com (UK site....great for pants. Arrive within 3 weeks) Shipping around $20
www.modcloth.com (US site...... fast shipping. Arrives within 2-3 weeks) Shipping around $30

Korean customs will tax you (around 60,000) for buying retail items that value over 120,000 won.
If you buy online and order alot, put it into two separate orders in order to save on import tax fees.

hope that helps

I slashed the incorrect information.

Gmarket is usually 2500w per item per delivery.
ASOS.co.uk has free international shipping
Import tax doesn't occur for items under 150,000
and if you buy two separate items from the same site on the same day and it's caught it will be considered as one item and be taxed accordingly.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

http://www.customs.go.kr/kcshome/main/content/ContentView.do?contentId=CONTENT_ID_000001318&layoutMenuNo=21023

But if it's more than 150,000 & less than 200,000, according to this site, around 20% of parcels get stopped and taxed http://blog.daum.net/buyking/450

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 09:19:11 am »

hope that helps

I slashed the incorrect information.

Gmarket is usually 2500w per item per delivery.
ASOS.co.uk has free international shipping
Import tax doesn't occur for items under 150,000
and if you buy two separate items from the same site on the same day and it's caught it will be considered as one item and be taxed accordingly.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

http://www.customs.go.kr/kcshome/main/content/ContentView.do?contentId=CONTENT_ID_000001318&layoutMenuNo=21023

But if it's more than 150,000 & less than 200,000, according to this site, around 20% of parcels get stopped and taxed http://blog.daum.net/buyking/450

Did they change the import tax? Good to know. I was charged last year on an order of $125 . Maybe its just me though.
Sorry about gmarket. I completely forgot about the shipping fee being included in the price. you're right its 2500.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »
I'm sure everyone already knows this, but just in case - if you are going to buy from UK sites such as ASOS and you're from the US/Canada, UK sizes are a bit different. Usually they're up by two sizes/four numbers - so a US size 8 is a UK size 12, a US 10 is a UK 14 etc.

New Look (www.newlook.com) also has international shipping and their clothes are much cheaper than ASOS! :) You will have to pay for the shipping, though.

Edit: Shoe sizes are different on UK sites too! I haven't figured out the conversion exactly, but I think it's roughly two sizes the OTHER way. For example, I am a UK 5, but when I went to the US I was usually a 7.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:56:22 pm by hippiebanana13 »

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:23:10 am »
for underwear and bras: use freshpair.com....of ten have sales and shipping is only 9.95.  all brands you would find in US and most sizes...men's underwear and socks too.

for clothes:  avoid any website that uses borderfree...border free charges inflated duty and taxes and keeps the money as well as an inflated exchange rate.  if you are going to use a website that uses Borderfree change the currency to US and let the Korean bank do the exchange as it will save you about 10000.  there is korean website malltail.com that you can use to mail your items to a US address and then the company will ship it here. my coteacher uses it and says shipping is cheap.  When they ship the item, they send you a text about the shipping fees and then you send the money.  She said shipping sometimes is 28000. she orders designer clothes using this site.

i like landsend.com even though they use borderfree...often have 30 percent off sales which i love. clothes quality are great and shipping is cheap.  but i don't like borderfree so i am going to try making my next purchase through malltail.com  right now there is a 30 percent off online sales.

for shoes: shoebuy.com  a litte expensie but you earn points off future purchases. reliable shipping and i just took part in a free international shipping offer.

i can use a korean credit card for all of these websites.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 09:14:14 am »
You also have to understand; you might not be able to order from all these suggested sites abroad.
You most likely will be issued a "Maestro" debit card from your bank. This card ONLY allows you to make transactions WITHIN Korea (9/10). If you want to order from online stores that are NOT Korean, you will have to transfer money to your account back home, then order with your Visa/Mastercard. Just keep that in mind.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 01:24:04 pm »
My friend tells me that Sol B (a Korean underwear shop) carries larger size bras and whatnot.  She recommends them.  It's easy to find these shops in any city. 

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:37 pm »
Personally, I truly like online shopping because of the availability of great stuff at the prices that is super affordable. I recently purchased the super nice quality sweatpants and the tank tops. Must tell you that they are having super amazing fabric that is perfect for my skin type. The size of the gear was also wonderful.