Read 2153 times

Water filtration machine... thing...
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:42 pm »
Hello everyone!

This may be a pretty stupid question, but my co-teacher couldn't give me a real answer so I'm hoping someone here can.

In my tiny kitchen, there's a water filtration unit? machine? I don't know what you call it... :rolleyes: You see, where I come from everyone drinks tap water haha, so this is kind of unknown territory for me. Anyways, I wasn't sure how often these things need to be cleaned or have the filter changed or what. It's the kind of thing you see in the staff-room at school which has the little dispenser for cold or hot water (though only my cold seems to be connected).

I asked my co-teacher when I arrived if it was ok to drink from it and she just said "I don't know." So basically I have this huge thing plugged into my mains and I have no idea whether to use it or not.

Any ideas? I mean common says would say yes, that's what it's there for... but thought I should get a second opinion, especially after my co-teacher's rather vague response.

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
Re: Water filtration machine... thing...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:42:11 am »
Can you take a picture of it, and upload it here?

Some of the filtration units don't need filters changed at all, but others do. There may be a door or flap on the top of the unit that opens, and you may be able to see your filter there.

I am going to assume that the water should be good to drink from the filtration unit. I can't see why it wouldn't be.

You may find that there's a plug that's not plugged in, hence the hot water not working as well? There may also be an A/S number somewhere on the unit that you could have your co-teacher call and ask that someone comes to check it out, set up the hot water, and check the filters for you too, if you're concerned.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:55:18 am »
http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/S1059356657/Water-Dispenser.jpg

If you have one like this ^ the box kind, they usually come round every 3 months or so to clean it.

Assuming you still have a contract with the company.

Is there a phone number on the machine? If sho have your CT call them and ask....

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:43 am »
A water dispenser?

• DNR0311
  • Veteran

• October 29, 2012, 09:59:25 am
    • Busan
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:36:04 pm »

If you have one like this ^ the box kind, they usually come round every 3 months or so to clean it.

Is there a phone number on the machine? If sho have your CT call them and ask....

THIS.
First off, don't drink the tap water. Public schools are mandated to have the bigger water filter units throughout school for teachers and students. Koreans buy bottled water, buy a filtration unit or boil water before consuming it because it is common belief that though the government says the tap water is clean, the people believe the pipes are old and filthy.  On the other hand, I have expat friends who drink tap water and are totally fine.
Second, as far as the machine goes, if you are on here asking about it then you know you want confirmation as to its actual filtration capabilities. You can poke and prod at it, plug it in, drink from it, get sick from it, but you wont know if it filters. You definitely need to find the phone number that is probably on a sticker on it somewhere. Your co has to call and find out when it was installed, is it under contract, when was the filter last replaced etc..
Chances are the landlord of the property put it in, or a previous tenant did, so you just need your address to find out about it. Best case scenario, the machine is bought and paid for and you can just get a new filter. Worst case scenario, it's still under contract and you have to pay monthly to keep the machine.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:24:09 pm »
Public schools are mandated to have the bigger water filter units throughout school for teachers and students.

Really? None of the public schools where I worked last year had any water dispensers. They were rural schools, though.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 01:37:12 pm »

THIS.
First off, don't drink the tap water. Public schools are mandated to have the bigger water filter units throughout school for teachers and students. Koreans buy bottled water, buy a filtration unit or boil water before consuming it because it is common belief that though the government says the tap water is clean, the people believe the pipes are old and filthy.  On the other hand, I have expat friends who drink tap water and are totally fine.
Second, as far as the machine goes, if you are on here asking about it then you know you want confirmation as to its actual filtration capabilities. You can poke and prod at it, plug it in, drink from it, get sick from it, but you wont know if it filters. You definitely need to find the phone number that is probably on a sticker on it somewhere. Your co has to call and find out when it was installed, is it under contract, when was the filter last replaced etc..
Chances are the landlord of the property put it in, or a previous tenant did, so you just need your address to find out about it. Best case scenario, the machine is bought and paid for and you can just get a new filter. Worst case scenario, it's still under contract and you have to pay monthly to keep the machine.

I drank tap water for two years and didn't die. However, Koreans do not drink tap water, so I have just given up and do what the natives do. If you live in Seoul the water is very clear. However, I have been told the issue is with the pipes and not the water quality.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 01:41:53 pm »
the first time i drank tap water in Korea, i was sick as hell for a few day.
after i was empty, and i mean EMPTY, as well as dehydrated, my coteacher was able to get me to a doctor. explained to the doctor everything i had done prior to visiting him. doctor told me not to drink the local water, and gave me some medicine. was better after that.  still refuse to drink (knowingly) tapwater in Korea.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• DNR0311
  • Veteran

• October 29, 2012, 09:59:25 am
    • Busan
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:26 pm »
Public schools are mandated to have the bigger water filter units throughout school for teachers and students.

Really? None of the public schools where I worked last year had any water dispensers. They were rural schools, though.

Full disclosure: I learned that from the people who came to install my water filter so maybe they were trying to ....help sell me the filter I already bought? I don't know why they would lie when I already bought a filter, but maybe it was just a language miscommunication. For the record, my school and my husbands two schools all have the big filters on a few floors. And I just asked my co-T who says every school she has ever taught at in her 10+ years has had the filters.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 03:42:45 pm »
Full disclosure: I learned that from the people who came to install my water filter so maybe they were trying to ....help sell me the filter I already bought? I don't know why they would lie when I already bought a filter, but maybe it was just a language miscommunication. For the record, my school and my husbands two schools all have the big filters on a few floors. And I just asked my co-T who says every school she has ever taught at in her 10+ years has had the filters.

Okay. Again, my public schools last year were in a rural area and they were small schools, so maybe they just got overlooked or didn't bother with the water dispensers...I don't know. However, when I worked at public schools in a big city during my first few years in Korea, they were big schools and had water dispensers on every floor.