Read 5474 times

• muffin85
  • Adventurer

• June 07, 2012, 10:08:51 am
    • south korea
Is this a set up?
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:16:37 pm »
I've been employed for over six months on an E-2 visa and my employer mentioned recently that he was planning to fire me (for budgetary reasons) but never gave a date.  Now he just told me that he wants a copy of my medical check. I find this really peculiar given that he never mentioned it till this point of my contract.

Could this be some kind of set up? Or should I just give it to him?

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
Re: Is this a set up?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:31 pm »
Seems like a strange request. Is he entitled to your medical check? If so, why would he need it to fire you?

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:18:54 am »
Odd timing, eh? OP, you're not fired until it's in writing and if you are fired for that reason make sure he goes with you to Immigration with a letter of release so that you can be released from your visa and find a new job. Otherwise, keep showing up for work.

BTW, some shady hagwon owners tell teachers that they're fired and they stop coming to school. Then the owner will go Immigration and Labor and claim that the teacher quit and ran off and is working illegally.

• consentient
  • Veteran

• March 24, 2013, 08:54:24 am
    • Daegu, Republic of Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:22:11 am »
BTW, some shady hagwon owners tell teachers that they're fired and they stop coming to school. Then the owner will go Immigration and Labor and claim that the teacher quit and ran off and is working illegally.

Thanks for the heads up, Twiceasnice :)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:35:42 am »

I'm a bit ignorant to the hagwon world.  What's their incentive for doing this?

• doinmahbest
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2013, 10:45:58 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:40 am »
They don't like you or you are too difficult for them to push around (or both). Perhaps removing you is an easier way to deal with some unseen issue.

Unfortunately, it happens. Stuff like this is why the U.S. embassies are reworking much of their advice to Americans about teaching in Korea.
Your only consistency should be unpredictability.

• muffin85
  • Adventurer

• south korea
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:58 am »
Odd timing, eh? OP, you're not fired until it's in writing and if you are fired for that reason make sure he goes with you to Immigration with a letter of release so that you can be released from your visa and find a new job. Otherwise, keep showing up for work..

That's the thing! The timing is incredibly odd. We were at a staff meeting and someone mentioned that they were legalizing marijuana in the States and he immediately turned to me and said he needed my records. So I feel like he's looking for something. My record is obviously clean because Immigration issued my visa but, he is still insistent that he wants it.

Getting it seems like an unnecessary hassle that I don't want to deal with unless it's required by law.

Does anyone know if this is required by law?

Also, I'm definitely planning to stay till I get a written 30 day notice.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 09:19:25 am »
Are you public or private? If you're employed under GEPIK or EPIK then it's required by law, and I'm very surprised that it wasn't already arranged (I went for my medical about 16 hours after I got off the plane!).

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:25:44 am »

Yeah, I know someone who got fired from his teaching job, but his employer told the immigration office that he "ran away." Very shady.

Also, OP, did you ask your employer why he wants a copy of your medical check?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:07:33 am by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:51:48 am »
Odd timing, eh? OP, you're not fired until it's in writing and if you are fired for that reason make sure he goes with you to Immigration with a letter of release so that you can be released from your visa and find a new job. Otherwise, keep showing up for work..

That's the thing! The timing is incredibly odd. We were at a staff meeting and someone mentioned that they were legalizing marijuana in the States and he immediately turned to me and said he needed my records. So I feel like he's looking for something. My record is obviously clean because Immigration issued my visa but, he is still insistent that he wants it.

Getting it seems like an unnecessary hassle that I don't want to deal with unless it's required by law.

Does anyone know if this is required by law?

Also, I'm definitely planning to stay till I get a written 30 day notice.

have you been back the States lately for vacation? if you have been maybe he's just worried you might have indulged in some substances there. if you're records clean i wouldn't worry. the guy is probably just being overly paranoid. why not just tell him that you gave your medical record to immigration and he can get it from them - let him jump through all the hoops.

• Porksta
  • Veteran

• October 08, 2011, 09:31:27 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:33 am »
Keep in mind they don't need to give 30 days notice.  They can also choose to just give you 30 days pay and no notice.

• muffin85
  • Adventurer

• south korea
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 11:22:53 am »

have you been back the States lately for vacation? if you have been maybe he's just worried you might have indulged in some substances there. if you're records clean i wouldn't worry. the guy is probably just being overly paranoid. why not just tell him that you gave your medical record to immigration and he can get it from them - let him jump through all the hoops.

I haven't left Korea since I got my health check. I told him that immigration has a copy of my record, but he is insistent he needs a copy too and asked if he could call the hospital to get it. I thought he would forget about it but this seems to be his new pet project. I'll try to tell him again that its all on file with immigration if he feels that it is necessary to investigate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:27:12 am by muffin85 »

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 11:35:44 am »
Maybe your owner needs it for the school's records. Nothing shady; they just have been sloppy in the clerical department and perhaps they fear being audited. I'm also assuming he needs you specifically to get the record from the hospital because of doctor-patient confidentiality.

Since your record is already clean, you've got nothing to fear. I'd suggest asking the owner to help you get the document, because of the language barrier.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »
I've been employed for over six months on an E-2 visa and my employer mentioned recently that he was planning to fire me (for budgetary reasons) but never gave a date.  Now he just told me that he wants a copy of my medical check. I find this really peculiar given that he never mentioned it till this point of my contract.

Could this be some kind of set up? Or should I just give it to him?

could be a problem with the Education Office.
im not saying its the same situation. but i worked for a hagwon. and they needed a new Criminal Record Check, for the Dep. of Ed. in the city i worked at. they didnt tell the Hagwon Owner until about 6-8 months into the contract. so....the hagwon owner had to let me go. as the DOE gave a VERY small time frame.  the FBI check took about 8 weeks, while they only gave us 14 days....or so. 

still on good terms with the Hagwon Owner. nice lady
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• muffin85
  • Adventurer

• south korea
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:06:57 pm »
Maybe your owner needs it for the school's records. Nothing shady; they just have been sloppy in the clerical department and perhaps they fear being audited. I'm also assuming he needs you specifically to get the record from the hospital because of doctor-patient confidentiality.

Since your record is already clean, you've got nothing to fear. I'd suggest asking the owner to help you get the document, because of the language barrier.

You have a valid point. The clerical department has always been pretty disorganized so it really could be them trying to get things in order.
 I just find the timing a bit strange and asking for personal records they don't need  intrusive.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:47:58 pm »
You have a valid point. The clerical department has always been pretty disorganized so it really could be them trying to get things in order.
 I just find the timing a bit strange and asking for personal records they don't need  intrusive.

You can ask your employer why he wants it and see what he says.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 01:59:10 pm »
Unfortunately, it happens. Stuff like this is why the U.S. embassies are reworking much of their advice to Americans about teaching in Korea.

Check this site out: http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/dont_teach_in_korea.html

It was written in 2002 after this guy left the country.  However even at that point the US Embassy was still issuing warnings about coming here.  So I don't know where you get this idea that they're "reworking their advice".   

Old habits die hard and this shady practice of ripping off people is one which seems to never end.  All ESL jobs in Korea at all levels have been known to rip off foreigners at some point and hagwons are the absolute worst offender.

Anyway, people will still think hagwons are worth the risk and it won't be until things like this happen that people will realize it was a bad idea.  Nevertheless, I'm sure whenever the next Public School vs. Hagwon thread pops up you'll see a choir of pro-hagwon posters defend it till they're blue in the face (or until they get screwed too and post the next thread like this - whichever comes first).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:02:29 pm by YounguhTchr »

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 03:37:15 pm »
school board requires it, not just immigration.   You should have given hiim a copy to begin with.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »
The naivete of some of the replies here is shocking. 

OP already mentioned that his boss wants to get rid of him.  Now you're recommending he use his boss as a go-between to get records from the hospital? 

Once you have your boss contact the hospital for you, they will view him as someone you trust and it will be convenient for them to go through him in the future.  You should never have your school represent you in your private life if you can avoid it.  Medical privacy isn't easy to maintain here.

• muffin85
  • Adventurer

• south korea
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »
school board requires it, not just immigration.   You should have given hiim a copy to begin with.

I work for a hagwon not public school. So I don't see why anyone other than immigration would need it. I've never heard of this being an issue for anyone else that's why I feel my boss is just wasting my time.

Also, my boss called the hospital and immigration and they refused to release my records. But the hospital mentioned that after 3 months the results are no longer valid. Now I think my boss believes I need to get a new test to have valid results on record.