Read 13497 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Arirang channel, thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 11:41:04 am »
Why is it necessary for the government to have this propaganda? Is it an inferiority complex?

Korea is always trying to convince the world that their products, food, music, culture etc is superior to the rest of the World. Why is this?

They are a country that has been attacked, occupied, etc for years
. When you ask people about Korea, they don't know where it is and think you're talking about China or Japan, etc, etc so the need to have the world recognize them is there. I'm not excusing it or saying that the government doesn't go overboard with it, but it will probably take another 20-30 years or so before that need is gone.

That is hardly an excuse, there are plenty of countries that have been through that and still don't go around blowing their own trumpets. The Philippines springs to mind, occupied by the Chinese, the Spanish, the Japanese and the US yet I have never found Filipinos going around trying to 'colonise' the world with their culture, food etc.

I do think it is an inferiority complex at the end of the day.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 12:13:42 pm »
Why is it necessary for the government to have this propaganda? Is it an inferiority complex?

Korea is always trying to convince the world that their products, food, music, culture etc is superior to the rest of the World. Why is this?

They are a country that has been attacked, occupied, etc for years
. When you ask people about Korea, they don't know where it is and think you're talking about China or Japan, etc, etc so the need to have the world recognize them is there. I'm not excusing it or saying that the government doesn't go overboard with it, but it will probably take another 20-30 years or so before that need is gone.

That is hardly an excuse, there are plenty of countries that have been through that and still don't go around blowing their own trumpets. The Philippines springs to mind, occupied by the Chinese, the Spanish, the Japanese and the US yet I have never found Filipinos going around trying to 'colonise' the world with their culture, food etc.

I do think it is an inferiority complex at the end of the day.

This actually reminded of this post:

http://www.scroozle.com/2012/01/nationalism-inferiority-complexes-of.html

Canadians, I love ya...don't get mad at me. One your own wrote the post.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 12:53:38 pm »
I used to get Arirang TV and I don't have it anymore.

Frankly, I would rather watch Al-Jazeera English.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 01:08:58 pm »

Convince the world or convince its citizens? The distinction and its ramifications are not insignificant.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 01:31:31 pm »

Convince the world or convince its citizens? The distinction and its ramifications are not insignificant.

I think they are trying to do both.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 10:28:51 am »
Dear Arirang Channel/Korean government,

If you want to throw some Samsung recorders and a few million won my way, I will trot the globe and promote Korean food! Here are some of my ideas.

KIMCHI CARRIERS™
We will infect you with the love for kimchi!

GWENJANG JJIGAE GANGSTAS™
Non-Koreans are water boarded with gwenjjang jjigae until they are recorded on camera admitting that it is possibly edible. See also similarly-themed TTEOKBOKKI TEAMSTERS™.

DONKASU: THE NEW DOKDO™
Donkasu is Korean, not Japanese!

THE GOSPEL OF GOCHUJANG™
From appetizer to dessert, there can be only one spice. Thou shalt not have other spices before gochujang.

I promise to fill up your air time with Korean content the world must know!

Yours,
Freeto
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

• Orange_Thief
  • Veteran

• November 19, 2010, 09:17:50 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:40 am »
On a serious note, how would you all go about promoting a worldwide recognized korean dish?

It's obvious that they are promoting Bibimbap because it is one of the few K-dishes that is manageable enough to be enjoyed on one plate, and also enough to be enjoyed by just one person. Very few have the versatility that say a taco, a slice of pizza or a gyro has.  Unfortunately most Korean meals are an array of large portions divided up into numerous small dishes meant to be enjoyed by a group that makes some of the best Korean meals hard to promote to the individual. 

However it is possible, because Indian food has been successful at spreading the wonder that is curry, as well as Thai food and Chinese hot pot one could argue. 

Kimbap is the obvious choice, but the Japanese have already filled that niche.  It just sort of bugs me that bibimbap is the go to food that koreans want to promote to the world when it is possibly the last dish that any expat would want when they crave korean; hell, even koreans don't rave about such a bland food choice to anyone who is not korean. 

I'm not one to talk-up Korea in any way. The extreme nationalism just sickens me, but damn can these people cook some delicious foods that I truly believe the western world could embrace. 

But what are they doing wrong? how would you go about it?

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 11:56:44 am »
On a serious note, how would you all go about promoting a worldwide recognized korean dish?

It's obvious that they are promoting Bibimbap because it is one of the few K-dishes that is manageable enough to be enjoyed on one plate, and also enough to be enjoyed by just one person. Very few have the versatility that say a taco, a slice of pizza or a gyro has.  Unfortunately most Korean meals are an array of large portions divided up into numerous small dishes meant to be enjoyed by a group that makes some of the best Korean meals hard to promote to the individual. 

However it is possible, because Indian food has been successful at spreading the wonder that is curry, as well as Thai food and Chinese hot pot one could argue. 

Kimbap is the obvious choice, but the Japanese have already filled that niche.  It just sort of bugs me that bibimbap is the go to food that koreans want to promote to the world when it is possibly the last dish that any expat would want when they crave korean; hell, even koreans don't rave about such a bland food choice to anyone who is not korean. 

I'm not one to talk-up Korea in any way. The extreme nationalism just sickens me, but damn can these people cook some delicious foods that I truly believe the western world could embrace. 

My 2c
As non-Koreans, we forget that traditions come about a bit differently over here. Curry, for example, has countless variations; it has been taken apart, and prepared in many different ways with many different influences. It has stood the test of time. Korean logic seems to be, "If my ancestors did it this way, then there is no other way". Bibimbab was bland to begin with and guess what, it's still bland. The thought of altering a national dish would imply that it is lacking, which is blasphemy. The thought of adding "foreign" influence to a Korean dish would probably be enough to get you crucified over here.

Bibimbab has not evolved. Honestly, I hope Korea keeps trying to promote their cuisine in the manor they've been doing in recent years, it's thoroughly entertaining to read about ^_^

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:38 pm »

They have to do this for 2 reasons.

1. Cos they have no natural resources and rely on foreigners to put food in their bellies.
2. To beat the Evil Empire that is Japan.

If both of these fail, then I can see other countries having to do a Kono Statement type thing even though it will be them in charge of it.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 12:17:49 pm »
Koreans should promote their cuisine by focusing on the microwaveable food market.  Microwaveable samgyupsal anyone?  Mmmm.

• Orange_Thief
  • Veteran

• November 19, 2010, 09:17:50 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 12:56:40 pm »

My 2c
As non-Koreans, we forget that traditions come about a bit differently over here. Curry, for example, has countless variations; it has been taken apart, and prepared in many different ways with many different influences. It has stood the test of time. Korean logic seems to be, "If my ancestors did it this way, then there is no other way". Bibimbab was bland to begin with and guess what, it's still bland. The thought of altering a national dish would imply that it is lacking, which is blasphemy. The thought of adding "foreign" influence to a Korean dish would probably be enough to get you crucified over here.

Bibimbab has not evolved. Honestly, I hope Korea keeps trying to promote their cuisine in the manor they've been doing in recent years, it's thoroughly entertaining to read about ^_^

I definitely agree that Korean food has to open itself up to western interpretations of it.  The U.S. are masters of taking a foreign dish and truly making it their own.  Just look at tex-mex, or American chinese food.  These are uniquely American, but they leave one wanting more which is probably why there has been such a taco-truck craze in the past few years where I'm from. 

Koreans should promote their cuisine by focusing on the microwaveable food market.  Microwaveable samgyupsal anyone?  Mmmm.

SamGyupSal is by far the most prevalent Korean food in the U.S., but definitely hard to enjoy without making a big event out of it.  You truly can't encompass an experience like a samgyupsal dinner in a microwavable pack; The way the soju compliments it, the unlimited side dish refills, and the ambiance of it all is, in my opinion, an experience that goes beyond the food alone. 

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 11:01:57 am »

They are a country that has been attacked, occupied, etc for years. When you ask people about Korea, they don't know where it is and think you're talking about China or Japan, etc, etc so the need to have the world recognize them is there. I'm not excusing it or saying that the government doesn't go overboard with it, but it will probably take another 20-30 years or so before that need is gone.

The government goes overboard with it because they are dinosaurs. Fact is, most Koreans nowadays are very confident (i.e. while still being very competitive, they are aware that this need to prove themselves to others is no longer an important facet of Korean nationalism). Things changed during the 2002 World Cup. People took the streets and celebrated like they never previously allowed themselves to. Ban Ki-Moon becoming the UN Secretary General in 2006 served to further drive that point.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:12:29 am by EL34 »

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 11:10:44 am »

Arirang is a vestige of when insecurity was a facet of Korean nationalism (not that the station's content hasn't changed since then). At least now, they offer news and shows which cater to people who actually enjoy Korean culture (instead of producing shows which attempt to sell Korean culture and products to business travelers who might watch it in their hotel rooms or foreign diplomats like they did in the '90s).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:13:26 am by EL34 »

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »
There was an ad for arirang on one of my facebook pages...apparently they want a foreigner to suggest something about Korean culture that they really, really want to do and they will film you for 6 hours and pay you a pittance of 50,000 won. Not that they won't find anyone.

I breifly entertained the notion of sending an e-mail describing how much I have wanted to try the Korean Noraebang experience, complete with anmas, go-go girls and barrels of soju. I really wouldn't mind having a special about me doing that, and all on someone else's dime!

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 09:22:15 am »
What I have learned from Arirang in past few yrs.  Pizza was invented here, Hockey was invented here, the first observatory was invented here, and Kimchi cures everything. :laugh:
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/