Read 11757 times

• Artisis
  • Veteran

• August 21, 2013, 04:52:28 pm
    • South Korea
Did I just lose all of my security deposit?
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »
So I tried to install something on my wall and it didn't work. Ended up ripping the wallpaper. Usually I would repair this myself but be it that it is wallpaper, I don't quite know how to. So did I just lose my entire security deposit now?

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
Re: Did I just lose all of my security deposit?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:27:08 pm »
Was that apartment provided to you by your school? If so, then it depends if your employer is honest or not. That damage deposit was paid to your employer, right? It must have because normally such expenses would be taken out of the deposit for the apartment. It's not customary to have a separate damage deposit (it's redundant).

With that said, normal wear and tear is expected. So, if the damage isn't excessive (i.e. easily patched up), it shouldn't affect your damage deposit at all. Worst case scenario, you'll have to pay to get that wall re-papered, which shouldn't be much (it really depends on the size of the wall and the type of paper...and I doubt your school is putting you up in a place with fancy wall paper).

• damof
  • Super Waygook

• April 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm
    • Yongin
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:54:19 pm »
I'm in the same situation, OP. In my case one of my pets chewed a nice big hole in the paper, and as I'm not supposed to have pets in the apartment I'm not sure what to do about it.

My search for a similar type of wallpaper has yet to prove fruitful. I considered cutting a patch of paper from behind the bed or some place hard to notice and using that to replace the chewed up paper. I haven't given up on that idea yet, but it seems a bit drastic.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »
I'm in the same situation, OP. In my case one of my pets chewed a nice big hole in the paper, and as I'm not supposed to have pets in the apartment I'm not sure what to do about it.

My search for a similar type of wallpaper has yet to prove fruitful. I considered cutting a patch of paper from behind the bed or some place hard to notice and using that to replace the chewed up paper. I haven't given up on that idea yet, but it seems a bit drastic.

Nobody's really supposed to have pets, even people who own their own apartments. So, don't really worry about that. Nobody really care as long as they don't make any noise. As for the wall paper, ask your landlord if you can have a wall redone, and make it clear that you'll pay for it. Your peace of mind isn't worth 50000-80000won.

PS. (This is not directed at anyone in particular). We dealt with a lot with real estate agents when we owned a jutaek. They warned us that the tenants who leave behind the biggest mess are foreign English teachers. So, take care of your apartments and take the time to clean them up a bit when you move. You're making us all look bad when you don't.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:58:42 pm by EL34 »

• jr11
  • Adventurer

• October 20, 2013, 10:08:09 am
    • korea
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:22:00 am »
is it an ajooma ? Then yes sorry to say but it's gone  any ajoma will find out a way to lie enough to make the 5$ of damage equal to the entire deposit .

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:38:56 am »
Wallpaper is normally considered part of normal wear and tear. Unless you've put a fist size hole through the wall you are fine.

That's not to say they won't complain about it, but when it's time to check out at the end of the contract have a Korean friend go over it (preferably one who has rented their own apartment) they'll know what's cool or not.

• climber
  • Super Waygook

• January 02, 2011, 06:52:36 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:55:50 am »

Nobody's really supposed to have pets, even people who own their own apartments. So, don't really worry about that. Nobody really care as long as they don't make any noise. As for the wall paper, ask your landlord if you can have a wall redone, and make it clear that you'll pay for it. Your peace of mind isn't worth 50000-80000won.

PS. (This is not directed at anyone in particular). We dealt with a lot with real estate agents when we owned jutaek. They warned us that the tenants who leave behind the biggest mess are foreign English teachers. So, take care of your apartments and take the time to clean them up a bit when you move. You're making us all look bad when you don't.

I just moved into a new apartment. I went to check everything out at 4pm the day I was to move in and to my surprise there was trash everywhere with dirt caking everything. It was disgusting! I told the 파출부 they need to clean out the trash. They did, but they left the place still covered in dirt and even left some trash in the closet. They then told me cleaning is the responsibility of the new tenant. It seems when Koreans do it, it's okay because it's their culture, but when foreigners do it, it's because we are dirty. If I am leaving my apartment for a new foreigner, I will clean it. If I am leaving it for a Korean, I won't bother.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:05:44 am »

PS. (This is not directed at anyone in particular). We dealt with a lot with real estate agents when we owned jutaek. They warned us that the tenants who leave behind the biggest mess are foreign English teachers. So, take care of your apartments and take the time to clean them up a bit when you move. You're making us all look bad when you don't.

Sorry, but when a Korean says foreigners are the worst at something, it rarely has any grounding in reality.  Every apartment I've moved into that a Korean lived in previously has been utterly filthy, and the same can be said about most of my friends.  That's dozens of apartments.  We're always told that in Korean culture it's the responsibility of the new tenant to clean.  But when I have left (and my friends as well) we've always been told we have to clean up, even hire an ajumma, before we leave or we lose our deposits. 

I'm sure there are dirty and messy foreigners who don't clean, but that has nothing to do with our "reputation".  Nothing "we" do will ever change that perception.  Koreans have to change their view on foreigners. 

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:52:28 pm »
Wall paper in Korea is meant to be changed every couple years and is often changed between tenants. 

Don't let the landlord charge you for wallpaper that should be changed anyway.  I wouldn't expect to pay anything if the wallpaper was over a year old.

Same goes for the rolled wood pattern flooring.  It's meant to be replaced every few years.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 10:06:49 pm »
is it an ajooma ? Then yes sorry to say but it's gone  any ajoma will find out a way to lie enough to make the 5$ of damage equal to the entire deposit .

BS. My wife is an 'ajumma' and we've dealt with the consequences of having rented to tenants who didn't give a damn about the apartment because it wasn't theirs. We could have called anyone in town to get the place fixed, but we used our connections (my wife used to be an architect) to get the best possible deal for those lousy bums.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:59:01 pm by EL34 »

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »

I just moved into a new apartment. I went to check everything out at 4pm the day I was to move in and to my surprise there was trash everywhere with dirt caking everything. It was disgusting! I told the 파출부 they need to clean out the trash. They did, but they left the place still covered in dirt and even left some trash in the closet. They then told me cleaning is the responsibility of the new tenant. It seems when Koreans do it, it's okay because it's their culture, but when foreigners do it, it's because we are dirty. If I am leaving my apartment for a new foreigner, I will clean it. If I am leaving it for a Korean, I won't bother.

It's a new apartment. That's a different thing. We had to pay a few hundred thousand won to get our new place cleaned  before we moved in (money well spent).

Really, are you going to hold yourself up to the same standards as construction workers and a construction company that cuts every possible corner?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:58:07 pm by EL34 »

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »

Sorry, but when a Korean says foreigners are the worst at something, it rarely has any grounding in reality.  Every apartment I've moved into that a Korean lived in previously has been utterly filthy, and the same can be said about most of my friends.  That's dozens of apartments.  We're always told that in Korean culture it's the responsibility of the new tenant to clean.  But when I have left (and my friends as well) we've always been told we have to clean up, even hire an ajumma, before we leave or we lose our deposits. 

I'm sure there are dirty and messy foreigners who don't clean, but that has nothing to do with our "reputation".  Nothing "we" do will ever change that perception.  Koreans have to change their view on foreigners.

Well, I have an excellent reputation because I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder, nor am I immature. That's more than I can say for many foreigners I've met here.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:39 am »
Wall paper in Korea is meant to be changed every couple years and is often changed between tenants. 

Don't let the landlord charge you for wallpaper that should be changed anyway.  I wouldn't expect to pay anything if the wallpaper was over a year old.

Same goes for the rolled wood pattern flooring.  It's meant to be replaced every few years.

No, not "wall paper in Korea". Just the cheap stuff.

• KLM
  • Veteran

• May 19, 2011, 10:24:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 12:07:21 am »
Well, I have an excellent reputation because I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder, nor am I immature. That's more than I can say for many foreigners I've met here.

Please tell us more about yourself.

• JGgyopo
  • Veteran

• March 14, 2013, 11:24:43 am
    • Nonsan, Chungnam
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 12:18:33 am »
Good luck with the wall paper...just tell them you had mold there and you cut that section out so it wouldn't spread...common enough problem.

I think the degree of cleanliness of an apartment with a previous foreigner tenant lies in whether they take off their shoes at the door...I've seen some pretty shitty foreigner one-rooms where the floors are covered in dirt and shit from the street...PUKE...come on folks some customs here make sense. Imagine turning on the ondol and cooking that stuff up!
Let's be real...

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:58 pm »

Please tell us more about yourself.

As I was saying...

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:08 am »
This is typical Korean BS. I've lived in many apartments during my time in Korea. And most have been left dirty and filthy by the previous KOREAN tenant. Of course, in fairyland Korea, the only ones dirty are foreigners. Complete BS. And the schools have no shame whatsoever letting you move into these dirty, on the verge of being condemned places. This is because they don't give a rat's ass about any of us. But that is cool because, well, I'll find many different ways to slack off at your schools 8) to make up for the shitty treatment. Anyhow, one apartment that I moved into...man, it was completely filthy. Smelled like dogs and birds had been kept there. There was, I am not kidding, like a half inch of dust on the counters and tables. Garbage everywhere...ranging from bottles and used soap to a computer monitor sitting in the boiler room. Needless to say, I went to the store and bought a shitload of cleaning material and blitzed the hell out of that place. Made it into a nice apartment. But no thanks to the freaking school.

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 11:12:23 am »
Its customary in Korea for the building owner to change the wallpaper between tenants, even if the last tenant was only there for a year.  The exception to this seems to be school-provided housing, where the school is technically the renter so there is no change in renters, and thus the paper does not get changed (usually).

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 01:39:15 pm »
This is typical Korean BS. I've lived in many apartments during my time in Korea. And most have been left dirty and filthy by the previous KOREAN tenant. Of course, in fairyland Korea, the only ones dirty are foreigners. Complete BS. And the schools have no shame whatsoever letting you move into these dirty, on the verge of being condemned places. This is because they don't give a rat's ass about any of us. But that is cool because, well, I'll find many different ways to slack off at your schools 8) to make up for the shitty treatment. Anyhow, one apartment that I moved into...man, it was completely filthy. Smelled like dogs and birds had been kept there. There was, I am not kidding, like a half inch of dust on the counters and tables. Garbage everywhere...ranging from bottles and used soap to a computer monitor sitting in the boiler room. Needless to say, I went to the store and bought a shitload of cleaning material and blitzed the hell out of that place. Made it into a nice apartment. But no thanks to the freaking school.

You're missing the point. It's customary for the new tenant to pay to have the place cleaned out, but it's also not customary to leave a huge mess. Throw out your garbage, sweep the floor. You know, take the time to at least make it seem like you give a damn.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 11:52:39 am »

You're missing the point. It's customary for the new tenant to pay to have the place cleaned out, but it's also not customary to leave a huge mess. Throw out your garbage, sweep the floor. You know, take the time to at least make it seem like you give a damn.

And you don't make a point. So I guess that makes us even.