Read 760 times

Removing Sliding Door from Hinges
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:00:59 pm »
I have a sliding door in my loft that connects the kitchen to the living room that I need to remove from its hinges.   The kitchen has my washing machine, refrigerator, sink, and stove so there it's already very cramped.  This door would probably not be an issue were it not for the fact that there's only about 1 meter of width between the door and my kitchen wall.  No matter where I slide the door it's in the way of me moving around the kitchen freely and if I try to stand between the door panel and the stove I'm literally sandwiched in.

Has anyone ever done this or know how to do it?  When I asked my all-knowing buffoon of a co-teacher she simply told me "ooooo you move?  ok!", so she's useless in helping me.  I really need to get this thing removed and set aside so I can actually cook and use my kitchen.  I can't imagine putting up with it for an entire year.

Re: Removing Sliding Door from Hinges
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »
The sliding doors in my apartment can be removed by lifting them up then swinging them out of the bottom track.

Re: Removing Sliding Door from Hinges
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:37:32 pm »
I'm commenting on here so that I will be able to find it in a couple of hours. I'll go home and take a quick look at it. There may be a place either on the top or bottom where you can loosen the roller all of the way. After loosening it it will be a matter of lifting it up, then down and out. Also, it could be spring loaded. If it is spring loaded it will have to be lifted up and someone else will have to push the roller up so that you can let it down over the metal lip of the frame. Sometimes there are also guards that actually hold it in place and those may need to be removed. It really depends on what type of door you have. Without seeing the door it may be impossible to tell you exactly how to do it. You may just have to call a person over to have another set of eyes take a look at it.