Read 5676 times

Re: KT hacked - 12 million clients' data stolen
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:30 pm »
I have a strong feeling that Korea's information security systems for our bank accounts and mobile phone accounts are weakened. The reason is because of most of the Korean people. Most Korean people have this false pride thinking that "oh our country is a safe haven where no crime exists." So before you know it, most Koreans become negligent with their utopian mindsets and now boom, informations security systems are at risk, and hackers are breaking in causing customers to suffer the brunt. Just like how I sufferend when hackers broke into my bank account and stole 2 million won. Korea, you need to wake up and get real, this is happening here just as bad as it is in the USA.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 09:07:49 am »
Koreans become negligent with their utopian mindsets and now boom, informations security systems are at risk, and hackers are breaking in causing customers to suffer the brunt.
Considering all the damn certificates, security programs and passcodes that we have to use just to log into our bank accounts, I would like to disagree with your statements.... but then considering this string of security breaches in the last few months, I guess I'm forced to agree. You would think that with all those inconvenient security measures, our bank accounts would be untouchable, but... well... nope.  :sad:

Just like how I sufferend when hackers broke into my bank account and stole 2 million won. Korea, you need to wake up and get real, this is happening here just as bad as it is in the USA.
I'm sorry to hear about this. Best of luck getting your hard-earned cash back!

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 09:50:09 am »
Korea, you need to wake up and get real, this is happening here just as bad as it is in the USA.

First, I want to tell you that it is a horrible thing that happened to you and I wish you success in getting your money back.

Second, your statement is wrong.  It is not "as bad" as in the United States.  What you are seeing right now is, on scale of magnitude, 10x worse.  The United States isn't "bad" in comparison to other countries.  When was the last time you heard any of our major banks say, "Hey, we lost your social security number (for those who are not American, it is similar to other countries' National Identity Number), passport info, all your card info, address and telephone number."? Not likely.  The reason is simple.  Companies, in the U.S., are free to install and maintain security as they see fit.  Our government hasn't shackled anyone from maintaining the best security. We have laws that keep companies from sharing information.  You, as the consumer, also have a hand in your own security practices.  These are all things not afforded to the average Korean. 

Third, any reputable bank has pro active and robust fraud protection.  If any of my banks see someone from outside the country try to make a withdrawal on my account, it get's flagged and denied.  I can barely use my cards here without getting an e-mail.  Back home, I get a phone call and a text.  This is something, until very recently , that was not a big thing in Korea.

Finally, I will agree with you on one thing.  I, also, partially blame the people for this. They need to be demanding better.  Several Korean acquaintances I have just shrugged when when the bank told them that their credit card info was in the wind.  One looked at me and said that all her card info had been compromised but what could they do?  They have been conditioned to accept this shoddy behavior.  I don't know if it is because of ignorance or apathy.
You are never guaranteed happiness, only the right to pursue it.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get going!

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 07:42:46 am »
If you had prepaid phones, the hackers' efforts would've been wasted. Lots of work for dic pics.