Read 3297 times

The easiest way to order online electronics for a foreigner
« on: March 06, 2014, 04:12:22 am »
Hello, I just arrived in Korea on Friday and am wondering what is the easiest way to order online goods. I found a great site htps://www.gmarket.co.kr and it even had an english section when it came to signing up. However, when I'm checking out my items, I only see wire transfer or credit card payment. I was hoping there would be a money order system kinda like in the United States where I could go down to the post office and then mail in the check. Thanks for the help.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
Re: The easiest way to order online electronics for a foreigner
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:02:08 am »
Bank transfer is definitely the easiest way.  You can do bank transfers online, but it is incredibly difficult to setup initially.  The best option is to do it at an ATM.

Paying by credit card online in Korea is insanely difficult and I have never gotten it to work in my several years here.  I just do bank transfers.

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:10:27 am »
You can choose to pay by bank remittance or something at the bottom.  I pay that way, usually.  You have to choose your bank name from the list, and it gives you a number to transfer the money to at that bank.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:08:33 am »
thanks for the quick responses. I'm on the order screen now and its giving me a 14 digit number that looks like this; XXX-XXXXXX-XX-XXX. Is this the normal format of a bank remittance number? Also, I'm looking on the order sheet and nowhere does it ask for the bank name. Can I confirm this order, open up a bank account at a random bank in South Korea and then give them this 14 digit number to pay the order? THeres a few words in the order form that I can't translate so I hope I'm not missing anything important. So far, I've inputted my address and the items that I'm ordering but nothing else

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:26:32 am »
There should be a way to choose your bank via pulldown menu before you agree to the order, but yes, it then gives you a long number like that.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:31:50 am »
I opened up a Korean PayPal, and my Gmarket is linked to that. 1 click purchase. Sort of deadly, lol.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:50:39 am »
I opened up a KEB debit account. You download security software and it links to Gmarket. 3 click buy lol.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:23:22 pm »
which bank is KEB? I'm looking at the list of banks in South Korea and don't see that acronym. I actually found the Aghricultural bank which is within walking distance of where I live. Do you guys think I should open an account there or should I stick with a foreing/major bank?

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »
Go the extra mile and set up an account with KEB (한국외환은행). They have online banking and mobile apps in English and their customer service has been among the best I've experienced in Korea.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:00:23 am »
Go the extra mile and set up an account with KEB (한국외환은행). They have online banking and mobile apps in English and their customer service has been among the best I've experienced in Korea.

I also think KEB is the best of the Korean banks.  They've recently made a major push to be more foreigner-friendly.  They're English site is quite good.  Also, their Facebook page is very responsive about answering questions:

https://www.facebook.com/KEBforExpats?ref=profile

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 07:53:33 am »

when you opened an account at the Korean Exchange bank, did you need an alien registration card? I'm looking online and reading that you do need it and that you don't need it so I don't know who to believe. Also, are banks in Korea open during the weekends? I work Monday - Friday so if they were open on Saturday that would be a huge deal for me.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »
I actually went to the Korean Exchange Bank and they told me flat out I need a Korean number. Which really sucks because it turns out that I can't get a phone until I get my alien registration card and I can't even use the Arrivalstore.com because my phone (Iphone 3gs) only takes normal sim cards and they only sell micro and nano sim cards. So I'm going to try another bank and hope that they don't ask for a cellphone number. Does anyone have any reccommendations? I'm thinking of trying Shinhan bank.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 07:36:46 pm »
KB (kookmin bank) was at our orientation giving people bank accounts without asking for an ARC. I honestly think it is a bit of luck on who you get at the counter rather than a specific bank. Last week I was setting up an account to send money back home and the person insisted that I need a 9 digit transit number. After telling her the transit number is definitely part of the number I already gave her and that I have no more information about the bank, and her disagreeing a few times, she finally accepted it and put it in the system. And voila a few days later I had an automatic remittance account.

Probably not the most encouraging advice, but the most true.

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 08:01:46 am »
I opened up a Korean PayPal, and my Gmarket is linked to that. 1 click purchase. Sort of deadly, lol.

How did you set up a Korean PayPal? I tried to do this, but they told me foreigners were not allowed to make accounts?

I opened up a KEB debit account. You download security software and it links to Gmarket. 3 click buy lol.

How did you link your account to Gmarket? Now you can purchase and make a payment without logging into your banking? This would change my life.

It was automatic. When you check out, the website gives a list of banks. I clicked KEB then accepted the pop up (this is the security software).

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:28:31 am »
I justed used my normal paypal, that I set up in Ireland and have had for years, without issue. It was even using my Irish debit card, instant and secure.

Perhaps the English version of the site doesn't have it but I find going to the Korean version on chrome and letting google translate it is a better option anyway as the drop down menus in the English version are still Korean and you can't translate them there.

• ohherro
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2011, 07:43:35 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:55 am »
My friends shop for gmarket items on their phone with a 1 click purchase system where everything they buy is charged to their phone bill. 

Just wanted to say that this is another option, and it is deadly as well. I don't know how to set it up, though.