Read 3143 times

Leaving on E2 visa before ARC card/Visa cancellation
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:11 am »
Hi, hoping someone could give me some advice about this...

I'm one week into a hagwon contract and basically....I'm planning to quit within the next week. I haven't even been to immi to get my ARC card yet.

If I do a midnight run and leave within the next few weeks, will my E2 visa be cancelled when I leave? When my employer notifies immi? Do I have to go to immigration with them?

My plan is to do a visa run to Japan, then come back on a tourist visa and study at a Korean language centre for a few months, then head home and start the E2 process again with a new job.

I've searched online, and I'm finding conflicting info...I want to come back in a few months on a new E2 visa but I'm worried about this current one not being cancelled.

Can anyone help clear this up? Anyone experienced this themselves?

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
Re: Leaving on E2 visa before ARC card/Visa cancellation
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:36:41 am »
your gunna have a difficult time. you need a letter of release.

you should have a job lined up, if you want to go onto a D10 visa. when you enter into the "d10"status, you are only allowed to "look for work". you cannot actually be employed. you must also submit a 'work search time-table' or 'plan'.

as for documents, if you explain to Immigration, that you are going to re-apply for an E2 visa with another school, they 'usually' hold onto your documents. you should request it just in case. so you dont have to start from scratch.

1) letter of release
2) work-search-plan
3) job prospect lined up.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:46:09 am »
I don't want to go to a d10 visa tho... Just a tourist one. Then go home and try for an e2 again later in the year...

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:09 am »
if you leave here, and go home, after canceling your contract, chances are you will have to start the process over again.

as for your visa, you are allowed 30 days (double check with immigration on this) at the end of your contract, before you have to leave.

tourist visa, i think that is a 2-week stay.

ALWAYS check with immigration. their rules change quickly.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:17 am »

It depends on which country the OP has citizenship. If the OP is American, the tourist visa is for up to 90 days (a.k.a. 3 months). If the OP is Canadian, the tourist visa is for up to 6 months. But yeah, best bet is to check with immigration when in doubt.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:50:27 am »

It depends on which country the OP has citizenship. If the OP is American, the tourist visa is for up to 90 days (a.k.a. 3 months). If the OP is Canadian, the tourist visa is for up to 6 months. But yeah, best bet is to check with immigration when in doubt.

Edit.  they Philippines recently changed from 21days to 30 days. from exempt countries.

i actually meant the 'visa free entry'.
for example (i have experience in this one), a USA citizen is allowed to stay in the Philippines without a visa, for 21 days, as a tourist. after that, they need an extension.

perhaps you could interchange the 'tourist' with 'visitor' or 'brief stay'.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:52:59 am by iamrhart »

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 05:47:45 pm »
I'm British and coming back on the 90 day tourist visa is no problem... What I'm worried about is whether my current e2 will be cancelled when I leave, or whether it will remain active and I won't be able to get a new visa later in the year. I understand I'll have to get all my documents again.