Read 1183 times

• karoo_guy
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2012, 12:51:16 pm
    • Incheon
Breaking of phone/internet contract & visa implications.
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:41:33 pm »
Hi again all,

About 2-3 years ago I went over to Korea on an EPIK contract, and pretty much had the worst time of my life. Korea was fine, but my school was another story. I left after 6 months (after giving proper notice), and went to a great university job in Thailand. I am now looking for something new, and have been thinking about giving S.Korea another go...but I'm a little concerned about one thing. When I left I was 6 months into a 2yr Olleh cellphone & internet contract, which I just skipped out on. No, not a great thing to do...I know...but I was unable to find someone in my nowhere area to take the contract over. I also could not afford to pay the remaining 1.5 years that Olleh was asking to cancel the contract.

My question is whether or not this will have an effect on getting a visa in Korea? Also, once in Korea, what kind of problems could I be facing from this?

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
Re: Breaking of phone/internet contract & visa implications.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:18:37 pm »
Should have no impact on whether you can get a visa or not.

Obviously, you won't be able to get any services from Olleh (if you try, they will start to hound you to get their money back).

As for other providers, I don't think they share information (judging by the amount of cases like this, they really should!), so you will probably be fine.

As a side note, did you finish your EPIK contract? If not, you're pretty much dead when it comes to public schools in Korea.

• karoo_guy
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2012, 12:51:16 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 05:27:26 pm »
Thanks for the insight. I didn't finish the contract, but that's fine. I would never want to work for EPIK again after my previous experience.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:02:53 am »
I would never want to work for EPIK again after my previous experience.

Wait, so what happened at the school. I just started teaching on Monday and the school I've got is very small but everyone is super nice. I only teach 3 hours a day and they even buy me lunch lol.