Read 3095 times

• katsy3g4
  • Veteran

• August 20, 2011, 05:14:36 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Gym & Personal Trainer - What, Where, How?
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:05:54 pm »
Hey all, I have a question about gyms. I've finally decided to get more active and join a gym, the thing is I'm not sure which gyms are good/foreigner friendly here in Seoul. Does anyone have any good experiences or recommendations as far as gyms go? I'd love a gym with machines as well as weights.

Also I'm very interested in getting a personal trainer. My friend began using one last year and she really loves it. Does anyone here have experience with that or recommendations? All and everything is welcome. Thanks!

Re: Gym & Personal Trainer - What, Where, How?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:00:34 pm »
Seoul is too large a place to be asking, "Here in Seoul."  If you live near Nowon station, it's untenable to frequent a gym in Gangnam, even if it's the best gym in the universe.

What you do is go on to google maps, and type "<your neighborhood> 동 휘트니스".  That'll bring up a smattering of gyms in your area.  You should repeat the search on 다음 지도, too.  Most places don't have a full on website, but might maintain a page on naver or daum (Think geocities but Korean).  So you'll have to visit the venues in person. 

Tip:  Avoid government run establishments.  They aren't necessarily cheaper than privately owned businesses, but are strictly bound by the "Energy Saving Initiative" and will not set their air conditioners below 27'C, if they run them at all.   

There's a 24 hour place across from exit 4 at Sungsin Women's University. But that might be hours away from you.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:42:22 pm »
It's your money to spend how you will, but I would generally advise against a personal trainer. MANY personal trainers don't necessarily know what they are doing and every exercise imaginable is shown online for free (just make sure the people showing the exercise know what they are doing) and you can practice the form over time.

If you must get a personal trainer make sure they are 1) pushing you 2) teaching you proper form 3) not using their phone / trying to be your best friend. 

Set some exercise goals (weight loss, muscle gain, toning etc), plan your workouts with research, get a gym membership, and go!

Lastly, please let us know which area of Seoul you live in.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:56:58 pm »
I was told by a trainer in Korea that most of them don't have real certifications. She said she has the highest one attainable in Korea. Maybe a 3 month course. But she said most of them don't have anything close to that.

Also, personally viewing them in the gym, most of the male trainers are not very professional. (at least at my gym).

If you really want a sound diet and exercise plan PM and I will hook you up with the contact info for my friend back in America. She did a program with around 500 hours in class. She is very affordable as well.