Read 2179 times

• rita2011
  • Explorer

• February 23, 2011, 03:34:18 pm
    • Rep. of Korea
Any one from Georgia, U.S.A.?
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:55:25 am »
I have received the CRC from FBI but it has an official seal on it. According to Georgia, they've said that in order for them to apostille it, it cannot have one on the form. Once the document has a federal signature and seal it must be authenticated by the US State Dept in Washington, DC. So, has anyone from Georgia come upon this dilemma? And what did you do?

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Re: Any one from Georgia, U.S.A.?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:59:29 am »
You should contact the embassy if you are in Korea. If you are still in the states, you should contact the FBI and ask them what you can do since your state obviously doesn't know what to do.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:23:19 pm »
Welcome to the new rules as of two months ago, I ran into this one too.  FBI checks have to be authenticated by the State Department in DC, there's no way around it.  You can mail it to them and get it back in 15 business days, or have someone in DC take it in and do it in person.

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:31:21 pm »
Here's what I found out (and recorded in my blog for future reference): since the FBI report was issued at the federal level, the state-level dept. of state doesn't have the authority to issue an apostille for it, so you'll have to send it (overnight FedEx airbill with a return label enclosed and a FedEx account number on both so they could bill you for the charges both ways) to Washington, D.C. to get the apostille from the U.S. Dept. of State.  I do recommend getting a FedEx account if you can, since it saves you around 15% on priority shipping costs.

I was told it can take up to 15 business days to process the apostille request once it got there, so that was why the person I spoke to at the state dept. recommended overnight delivery. According to the State Dept's website, sending documents via USPS requires additional time for it to clear security, so FedEx (DHL, etc.) is preferable for faster processing. Something else of note: it's my understanding that the federal government won't apostille state-issued documents like diplomas; those have to go to the state capitol.  So don't try to take care of everything in one go--it won't work.

Here's a link with the address to ship to as well as official instructions from the state dept. office of authentications:
http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

P.S. I was living in TN at the time (Dec. 2010), not Georgia, but I think the laws regarding federal seals and authentications are the same.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:32:55 pm by CellarDoor »

• flukeriffic
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2011, 10:39:44 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:34:34 pm »
When you get the FBI CRC, did you ask them to authenticate it for an apostille? That's probably why you have the official seal. I had the official seal and I had to send it to Washington, and it took them about 3 weeks to apostille it and send it back.

My friend didn't ask the FBI to authenticate it, it came back with no official seal, and he was able to take it to the state office to apostille it. Think you might just have to do it their way :(

US state's can't apostille a federal document because it unfortunately has a higher...clearance? authority? than the state. I was a little annoyed when I found out my friend didn't have to wait like me but lesson learned I guess.

This was all done from Dec 10-Jan 11 so no idea if the rules have changed and if they have, no biggie, the state department in DC is way faster than the FBI. Just make sure you send them a self-addressed envelope so that you can get it back sooner.

• flukeriffic
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2011, 10:39:44 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:36:07 pm »
Here's what I found out (and recorded in my blog for future reference): since the FBI report was issued at the federal level, the state-level dept. of state doesn't have the authority to issue an apostille for it, so you'll have to send it (overnight FedEx airbill with a return label enclosed and a FedEx account number on both so they could bill you for the charges both ways) to Washington, D.C. to get the apostille from the U.S. Dept. of State.  I do recommend getting a FedEx account if you can, since it saves you around 15% on priority shipping costs.

I was told it can take up to 15 business days to process the apostille request once it got there, so that was why the person I spoke to at the state dept. recommended overnight delivery. According to the State Dept's website, sending documents via USPS requires additional time for it to clear security, so FedEx (DHL, etc.) is preferable for faster processing. Something else of note: it's my understanding that the federal government won't apostille state-issued documents like diplomas; those have to go to the state capitol.  So don't try to take care of everything in one go--it won't work.

Here's a link with the address to ship to as well as official instructions from the state dept. office of authentications:
http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

P.S. I was living in TN at the time (Dec. 2010), not Georgia, but I think the laws regarding federal seals and authentications are the same.

Well said! :) And yes, use FedEx or UPS, not the USPS.

• rita2011
  • Explorer

• February 23, 2011, 03:34:18 pm
    • Rep. of Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »
Thanks for the info and it's much appreciated. :o,  I didn't know about asking for specifics. I did not ask for them to authenticate it, nor did I ask them not to.  I will send it too D.C. to get it apostilled. Interesting hurdles we must go through.  :)