Read 10882 times

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Re: Jeju massacre
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 01:49:39 pm »
If you guys are shocked by it, check out what the textbooks say about the Korean war, and then read a few books about it. Also, check out what happened in the 1960s and 1970s in when the government thought there were communists out there... and Gwangju in May of 1980 (광주 민주화 운동) "five eighteen".

One of the teachers at my previous schools was a survivor of the Gwangju attack and he was tortured because they thought he was a communist.

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 02:10:09 pm »
A few posts about the Yosu-Sunchon Massacre that happened in 1948 following the Jeju Uprising:

http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com/search/label/1948%20Yosu-Sunchon%20Incident

Not sure what the textbooks say about it, though it's not exactly a popular topic of conversation.  While the Gwangju Massacre is a crucial part of the city's and region's identity, the battles in Yosu and throughout Jeollanam-do receive almost no attention in English and extremely little in Korean.  That said, the conflicts on Jeju and in Jeollanam-do in 1948 provide some foreshadowing to the Korean War in 1950 to 1953.
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »
There are still plenty of Koreans, particularly, but not only, older ones, who regard anyone from Jeolla-do or Jeju as a possible "commie". This is part of the reason why some Koreans feel more uncomfortable when we ask them the, for us, normal first meeting question of "where's your hometown?" than we do when they ask us about our age, marital status and what university we went to. It's also supposed to be one of the reasons regular car number plates no longer show their province of origin.

20th century Korean history was quite a sad mess and a some of it made considerably more so by external influences. Much of that mess hasn't yet been completely dealt with historically yet (for want of a better way of putting that). So, as I said above, it's worth being careful about which buttons you press when asking people about certain issues.

Being curious is fair enough, but getting all preachy to people about how they should or shouldn't deal with their own country's history mightn't be such a good idea with people you want to be getting on well with.

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 12:51:41 pm »
 :o never knew about this! i took a korean history class in college and they never mentioned this event. AMAZING

• Shill86
  • Explorer

• September 16, 2010, 02:50:27 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »
I live on Jeju, I recently went to the April 3rd Peace museum dedicated to this massacre. I didn't even know about this until the day of the field trip. The museum is incredible, it looks very new and really is worth the trip if you find yourself on jeju. There are villages that no one has ever returned to, because the people who lived there never felt it was safe to go back. People used to have to claim to be iliterate because it made them less likely to be a commie. Even something as innocent as drying red peppers on one's rooftop was taboo.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:06:48 pm by Shill86 »

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 07:39:55 am »
This is something I didn't know about.  I read about mass graves near Busan that occurred at wartime, but didn't know it was countrywide.

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 07:43:17 am »
One of my teachers mentioned this in passing a few weeks ago. I've read some Korean history, but I've never heard anything about this. Crazy stuff. Thanks--

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:31 am »
I've never heard of this before. So depressing. Are there a lot of very hush-hush domestic conflicts like this in SK from this time period? I guess given the history of the nation it isn't that surprising...

• hdobbin
  • Explorer

• October 25, 2010, 11:27:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 08:18:24 am »
Oh wow. This is the first time I've heard about this. Thanks for the reminder that I need to try and learn more about Korean history.