Read 942 times

• bex
  • Explorer

• February 12, 2014, 07:32:13 pm
    • Korea
I have no idea what to do with this book
« on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
I'm teaching at a hagwon. For the younger classes I have books. For one particular class, everything in the book is in Korean except for the vocabulary. I have no idea what grammar principle it's trying to teach. And there doesn't even seem to be a theme for the words. Has anyone used this book before?!! I'm at a loss for what to do after two weeks of Pictionary, hangman, and word searches.

The other problem is that there is currently no teacher copy (although one is supposed to be in today). So I have virtually no prep time.

Re: I have no idea what to do with this book
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:27:46 pm »
I have never taught with that book, but if I was given a book that gave me nothing to go on and the Korean teachers weren't stepping in and helping, I would plan my lessons based on the vocabulary.  Does the vocabulary have a theme in each chapter?  Can you think of how the words are related, like why did the author group them together?  Maybe that will help you with the grammar points.  Then I would make 4 lessons for each chapter, one reading, writing, speaking, and listening, and then an integrated lesson or 2 depending on how it was going.  Does this class have a title? For example, is it a writing class?  Whatever class it is supposed to be, I would try to lean all my lessons in that direction.  Good luck and I hope that teacher's book helps!

Re: I have no idea what to do with this book
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »
survive today by working on getting them to nail the vocabulary down. spelling races - hangman - anything to keep your head above water for this 1 class.

What educated guesses can you make from the vocab? Try to flip it around and have the students tell you what the book says in korean. Never let on that you don't know what it says.

Give another teacher 10 bucks to translate today's lesson for you.