Read 2691 times

DUI in Korea and renewing F2 visa
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:02 pm »
Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

My wife and I have been in Korea for several years.  She teaches while I work from home via the Internet.  She has an E2 visa, mine is an F3.

Last year I received a DUI conviction in Korea.  I made a huge, dangerous, and embarrassing mistake in my life and have paid the cost in both cash and my wife's trust.

Now, as we are finally getting back to a level of normalcy in our relationship, I have a new worry: she will be changing jobs soon and I will need to have my visa renewed.

So, does anybody know if there will be any snags in the renewal process for my visa due to the conviction?  Do I need to report the conviction to immigration?  How will this affect her visa renewal?

Thank you!

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
Re: DUI in Korea and renewing F2 visa
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:39:19 am »
You should probably call immigration and ask them about it.

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• May 05, 2013, 01:25:37 am
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:16:40 am »
I think you should just call immigration as well.  However, I don't think it will affect it too much.  She's the one who needs a clean background and all that jazz because she is teaching.  Although my situation is different, I have E2 and my husband has F3.  My husband has DUI convictions at home in the US but it didn't matter, nor was his background checked because he's not teaching.  I'm not sure how different your situation will be since your conviction was during your stay in Korea, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. But just call immigration with the question to put your worries at ease.  Good luck to you and your wife.

Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:50:59 am »
I don't know exactly 100% but I've had a couple of friends get into trouble with the law as well here in Korea.  They weren't on F3 Visa's but they are on F4 visa's.  Basically, it was on the discretion of the particular immigration's officer at the time of renewal.  I had one friend of mine get into trouble fighting and basically he had to come back to the immigration's office proving his worth.  Luckily, he is a graduate student at Sogang and will become the valedictorian of his graduating class.  They eventually renewed his visa.  He is pretty much on the last strike rule and if he gets in any sort of trouble with the police, he will be deported within 10 hours.  They put a tracker on his mobile phone. 
So maybe it may differ, depending on the Visa but to be honest I'm not 100% sure. You may want to contact a lawyer before you call immigration's.  I don't know how much this helps but I really wish you the best of luck.   

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:19 am »
Thanks for the responses, everybody.

I spoke to immigration, yesterday, and they seemed to have no idea what I was asking.  I will try calling back and speaking to a different operator.  I was just hoping somebody else had a similar experience to give me an idea of what to expect.

Thanks again!

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:16:47 am »
You should be ok.  It's only your wife as the sponsor who would need a Korean police check if they asked for it. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/