Read 9964 times

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
Re: Taiwan comedian on anti-Korean crusade
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 08:20:46 am »
If we're taking bets on this beef between stevelee and cereal killer, I'm putting my money in stevie.  Steve seems more likely to form a logical argument and counter.  I think cereal is trying to skirt the issue whenever he's called out on it. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 08:23:16 am »
I think you missed his point. Racist generalisations are offensive. Your reaction when the shoe is on the other foot merely proves that point.

Ah, you beat me to it. 
+1 for you this morning.

Wow and we 'whites' often get accused of generalisations about Koreans on this website, you are not doing 'non whites' much of a favour with your attitude.

Is it necessary to bring race into this? Rightly or wrongly, he was talking about Koreans and you can respond along those lines but to generalise that all 'whites' (whatever that means) and vice versa are racist, is rather naive

Yes, it is naive to generalize all whites, just as it's naive to generalize all Koreans.  As Epistemology said before me, racist generalizations are offensive.  There are countless occasions on this website when a poster sees/reads an incident involving a Korean, and then makes a generalization about Koreans.  That's offensive, but not many people call the poster out on it. 

In this case, a poster made a generalization about white people, and then he's immediately called out on it.  A bit of a double standard by some people.

Edit: Just out of curiosity (and I'm a numbers guy), I would love to see the number of posts making racist generalizations of Koreans and the number of posts making racist generalizations of white people.  And how many times other people point it out.

Making generalisations is wrong but he is generalising about all whites not just American or Canadians or whatever he deems to be white.  So when people generalise about Koreans they are not being racist to all Asians which is what he is doing when he refers to whites.

This is what I commented on.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 08:27:00 am »
I think you missed his point. Racist generalisations are offensive. Your reaction when the shoe is on the other foot merely proves that point.

Ah, you beat me to it. 
+1 for you this morning.

Wow and we 'whites' often get accused of generalisations about Koreans on this website, you are not doing 'non whites' much of a favour with your attitude.

Is it necessary to bring race into this? Rightly or wrongly, he was talking about Koreans and you can respond along those lines but to generalise that all 'whites' (whatever that means) and vice versa are racist, is rather naive

Yes, it is naive to generalize all whites, just as it's naive to generalize all Koreans.  As Epistemology said before me, racist generalizations are offensive.  There are countless occasions on this website when a poster sees/reads an incident involving a Korean, and then makes a generalization about Koreans.  That's offensive, but not many people call the poster out on it. 

In this case, a poster made a generalization about white people, and then he's immediately called out on it.  A bit of a double standard by some people.

Edit: Just out of curiosity (and I'm a numbers guy), I would love to see the number of posts making racist generalizations of Koreans and the number of posts making racist generalizations of white people.  And how many times other people point it out.

Making generalisations is wrong but he is generalising about all whites not just American or Canadians or whatever he deems to be white.  So when people generalise about Koreans they are not being racist to all Asians which is what he is doing when he refers to whites.

Oh ok.  Well, I think he doesn't know which country cereal killer is from, so he just made a generalization.  If he knew where he was from, he's probably say "white people from (insert cereal killer's home country)." 

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 08:33:13 am »

Ah, you beat me to it. 
+1 for you this morning.

A broad stroke is still a broad stroke. Besides, look at what happened in the USA after 9/11. Anyone who looked as if they had brown skin faced persecution. Targeted racism against one group always develops into a broader racism against anyone that "looks like" that group.

As you are from South Africa, you should be acutely aware of that
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:35:50 am by Epistemology »
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:12 am »

Ah, you beat me to it. 
+1 for you this morning.

I'll break it down for you... Cereal Killer believed that discriminating against Koreans overseas was somehow going to solve the problems with the Korean government, and in doing that he generalized by putting all Koreans together as a single entity.  And because his retarded remark not only punishes innocent individuals but also implies there is no discrimination against Korean minorities in other countries and totally disregards my experiences in the States, I had to point it out.  I guess you're right, maybe I should've said "some whites", but I was proving a point and felt he needed a taste of his own medicine while I was at it.

• jduffy1
  • Veteran

• July 11, 2013, 12:49:33 pm
    • korea
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 09:21:16 am »
His case might have been hurt by asking 460k.  I'm sure the judge and court were offended.   I doubt he had that much in damage.  Did the thing blow off half his face?
I think the hotel staff was negligent, but prob an absurd amount.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 10:42:15 am »
His case might have been hurt by asking 460k.  I'm sure the judge and court were offended.   I doubt he had that much in damage.  Did the thing blow off half his face?
I think the hotel staff was negligent, but prob an absurd amount.

It really depends on the extent of the burns.  If the burns prevented him from performing his job, then I believe, under Korean law, he's owed those lost wages.  If being hospitalized due to Ramada's error prevented him from performing gigs, then the Ramada must pay him for those lost wages from what I understand, and not just hospital bills.

I guess you're right, maybe I should've said "some whites", but I was proving a point and felt he needed a taste of his own medicine while I was at it.

You're both responding to discrimination with more discrimination and trying to give a group "a taste of their own medicines" and it's a bit silly from this perspective.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 12:02:12 pm »
You're both responding to discrimination with more discrimination and trying to give a group "a taste of their own medicines" and it's a bit silly from this perspective.

If I said other white people should suffer for Cereal Killer's actions, then you are correct.  Nice try insinuating that I did, though.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 12:11:16 pm »

If I said other white people should suffer for Cereal Killer's actions, then you are correct.  Nice try insinuating that I did, though.

So when you said "you white people" you only meant cereal killer?  Because, if so, there's a big difference in what you said and what you meant.

• Munwon
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2011, 09:55:36 pm
    • pusan
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:57 pm »
stevelee is just another butt hurt kyopo! He likes to moan about the white man but loves to live in the white man's countries.

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »
Well, nice reminder why I don't use this site.

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 12:26:25 pm »

Again. 

You have a knack for missing the point, you wouldn't happen to be a butthurt Cereal Killer who signed in under a new account?  You only have 7 posts, first one today.

And your insinuation worked on dingleberries like Munwon who can't read.  Bravo.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:30:08 pm by stevelee0000 »

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »
Why are you people so angry, rude, and mean? Must. Stop. Reading. Waygook. Threads. How depressing.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:04 pm »
Why are you people so angry, rude, and mean? Must. Stop. Reading. Waygook. Threads. How depressing.

No idea. *cough* sexual frustration *cough*

• Beckz
  • Adventurer

• November 18, 2013, 10:17:41 am
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 12:43:22 pm »
stevelee is just another butt hurt kyopo! He likes to moan about the white man but loves to live in the white man's countries.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 12:45:39 pm »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 01:48:40 pm »