Read 5374 times

leaving Korea, what to do with blankets and bed sheets?
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:48:17 am »
I know it's unlikely anyone would want to buy used comforter, blankets and bed sheets (even though it's hard to find cheap sheets here)... so what can I do with them?

Are those clothing donation boxes the best bet? Is there a charity that would take them, maybe for single moms or homeless people? Any advice would be appreciated!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: leaving Korea, what to do with blankets and bed sheets?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:03:40 am »
maybe your nearest pet shelter? as long as there are no holes.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:05:38 am »
Blankets for pets? It's a noble cause here in Korea, but I was thinking that people could benefit more from them.

I purchased them 6 months to 1 year ago, so no holes.

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• May 04, 2012, 01:55:20 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:56:51 am »
There are goodwill stores but you might need help finding them. Another option would be to put them in the clothes bin, which is a green mailbox looking thing somewhere in your neighborhood. Cloth is cloth, right?

• Tetra
  • Explorer

• January 28, 2014, 11:15:33 am
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:53:43 am »
Take em w/ you.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »
In my apartment building most teachers just leave their towels and bedding if it is in good condition. When I moved in, the apartment was fully stocked from previous teachers. The previous teacher left a note that everything had been washed and I just washed all the towels again before using them.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
since they're relatively new you could try selling them. otherwise i second what MountainTraveler said, just leave them for the newbie coming in to take your place. my place was fully stocked with duvets, sheets, pillows etc. from the previous NET which was great, I'm sure the new person will appreciate them.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:18 pm »
Geez, just leave 'em in the apartment. It probably would be more hassle trying to sell something like used bedsheets.

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 03:04:30 am »
Mine will be dry cleaned. I'm also going to buy a new sheet for whoever moves in as a courtesy.

Towels? I dunno. I mean, I'm a gross boy so I used the towels that the guy before me left here until I could buy my own but I'm pretty sure a girl would want something unused. I really wish they sold cheap towels in this country. Color me once more mystified as to why they are 1/5 the price in the States than here.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

• zminus2
  • Adventurer

• February 21, 2013, 12:29:35 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 08:08:11 am »
I'm a girl and I totally would (and did) use the previous teacher's linens and towels. Bleach, yo. Leave them for the next teacher. If there is no next teacher, offer them free to the other local waygooks. Someone will want them.

Failing that, donate to whatever human organization or just dump in a green bin.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:22 am »
Previous teacher left all that stuff in the apartment.  Year and a half in and I still use em all.  She left people-sized towels and I am forever grateful.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:04 am »
Everything left to me by the previous teacher was completely cleaned out. Silverware? Gone. Pots and pans? Gone. Bedding? Gone. Fortunately, I went out with my coteacher and bought new sheets, pillow, and a mattress pad.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 08:49:02 am »
My first night in Korea I slept on a hard mattress with only the summer sheet that I had brought with me. It was so cold I slept fully clothed with a coat and a scarf! So, like others have said, leave them for the next teacher. Nothing wrong with used blankets and sheets, you just wash them again with your own nice smelling detergent. If no one is replacing you, offer them to other teachers in your neighbourhood, I've seen lots of people do that.

• Periwinkle
  • Veteran

• December 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:06 am »
Agreed with offering to neighbors. Since no teacher came after me and Goodwill could not accept, sat mine out for disposal. Within same hour, locals took them from street and were asking if I had anything else. This could have been because my neighborhood was low income but still doesnt hurt to either leave them for next teacher or ask around.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:43:15 am by Periwinkle »

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »
Personally, I don't have a problem with using blankets and bed sheets that aren't brand new and were previously used by someone else; I just wash them before I use them, and that's good enough for me. Every place I've lived in Korea that was provided by my previous employers, there were blankets, bed sheets, pillows, and pillow cases provided by my former employers that the previous NET had used. Some of the previous NETs before me left behind some towels, and I had no problem using those, either -- again, washing them is enough for me. So yeah, you should leave your old blankets behind for whoever is replacing you, or if you want to get rid of them, just sell them for really cheap or give them away for free.