Read 4522 times

Health check-up questions
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:38:58 am »
I've been living in Korea for 6 years, but the only time I've ever set foot in a hospital here was when I first arrived, my boss at the time took me in for a health check-up. After my first year, I moved to a new school in a different province, but I didn't have to get another check-up and haven't needed another one since.

However, I'm now moving to a new school and my new boss says I need a health check-up. Now I'm not going to try and understand the legalities of why I need one now but haven't for the last five years, because it seems the Korean laws regarding these things change every week (yes, I'm exaggerating).

As I'm going to the hospital alone, and my Korean is still mediocre, I'd just like to check a few things with some of you that have done this recently.

1) What is the Korean name for the check-up and what area of the hospital do I have to go to first?

2) Can this be done at any reasonably-sized hospital, or are only certain hospitals allowed to do it?

3) Is it covered under the Korean Health system?

4) Do I need to make an appointment or can I just show up?

5) Any rules about you're not supposed to eat or drink anything for a certain amount of time before?

6) My boss said it might take a week to get the results. As I will be in the new city by then, can I have them send the results to the new school, or do I have to pick them up in person?

Man, that's a lot of questions. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Re: Health check-up questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:42 am »
BUMP - because I don't have the answers, but I would also definitely like them. I'm in a similar situation myself.

• nschenk512
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:52:49 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:49 am »
This information is for public school employees.

1) I don't know the name of the health check in Korean, and you don't necessarily have to either.

2) For this matter, I would ask around about bigger hospitals (preferably university affiliated hospitals) that have an English speaking coordinator.

3) With the national insurance here, the test should only cost 30,000W.

4) Generally, you should try to make an appointment with the English Coordinator.

5) You should fast for 10 hours and stop drinking water for 4 hours before. You'll have to do a pee test, so try and hold it.

6) I had to go in to pick up my test results in person when I did this, since you need them sealed and stamped and such. Maybe you can have them sent for a slight fee? I don't know.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
1) What is the Korean name for the check-up and what area of the hospital do I have to go to first?

건강검진 ("geon-gang-geom-jin").

2) Can this be done at any reasonably-sized hospital, or are only certain hospitals allowed to do it?

If the purpose of getting the health check-up is for your visa, then you should probably go to a big hospital with an international clinic where the doctors can speak English and are more likely to be familiar with doing health checks for foreigners for visa purposes. For public schools, they are picky about which hospital you go to; I remember my former MOE/POE had a list of the approved-hospitals where I could go to get my health check.

3) Is it covered under the Korean Health system?

In my experience, no. I've always had to pay for it out of my pocket. It cost me about 100,000 won, but I suppose the price depends on which hospital you go to.

4) Do I need to make an appointment or can I just show up?

An appointment would be better, but you can probably just show up.

5) Any rules about you're not supposed to eat or drink anything for a certain amount of time before?

I think you shouldn't eat anything for about 12 hours before a blood test, but drinking water is fine (I made the mistake of not drinking water before my health check-up a few years ago, so I was barely able to make a urine sample -- so yeah, drink water).

6) My boss said it might take a week to get the results. As I will be in the new city by then, can I have them send the results to the new school, or do I have to pick them up in person?

It would be better to pick it up in person, but you can ask the hospital you end up going to whether it's possible for them to mail the results to you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:31:54 pm by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:34 pm »
Thanks to both of you for replies.

I talked to my current boss and my new boss again, and apparently it's not for my visa, it's for the board of education. But it's a hagwon job (as is my current job) so I don't understand why the board of education would be involved, but then again I don't understand a lot of things in Korea.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:34:52 am »
I just got back from the hospital so I thought that I'd give a quick summary in case it helps someone else.

I live in a very small city, and my new job is at another hagwon, so it may be different if you're going to a public school - I don't know.

Nobody spoke English and my knowledge of medical Korean is not much more than zero, but we managed to get it all figured out. They asked me if I'd eaten and they also needed pictures of me. I only had passport-sized photos, but they wouldn't accept those as they were too big for the form, so I have to bring the correct size tomorrow (two 4cm x 3cm headshots).

They then took my blood pressure, got my height and weight, did an eye test, hearing test, blood test, urine test, chest x-ray and finally a dentist spent about 15 seconds looking inside my mouth.

The total cost (didn't use the Korean healthcare) was 72,000 won.