Read 1039 times

Has Anybody Been Granted a Request for More Teaching Hours?
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:40 am »
I'll be teaching at a middle school this coming school year, and I noticed that there is a really big elementary school next door. I know that the NET there will only be able to cover about 2 grades, so I want to ask my new school if I could do overtime and teach extra hours at the neighboring elementary school. Has anybody ever asked their school if they could do this?

I had such a fantastic experience at my current elementary school (budget cuts is forcing me to leave) that I would love to keep teaching at that age group even if it's just for a few hours a week.

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
Re: Has Anybody Been Granted a Request for More Teaching Hours?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
Never heard of it happening exactly like that before, but it's not impossible, I think.

My current school set-up/allowed me to teach some extra hours at the local library last year, though that was outside the public school system.

• 외계인
  • Expert Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:02:13 am »
Considering all the financial issues in regards to NETs nationwide I would imagine they will tell you it's not in the budget.

I bet they'll let you do it for free tho.

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03:52 am »
I'll be teaching at a middle school this coming school year, and I noticed that there is a really big elementary school next door. I know that the NET there will only be able to cover about 2 grades, so I want to ask my new school if I could do overtime and teach extra hours at the neighboring elementary school. Has anybody ever asked their school if they could do this?

I'd say 'prove' yourself to the people at your new school before you start asking for OT (however well intended it is!)

Besides which, they'll have almost finished doing the time tabling for the NSY, by now or by early next week at the latest....

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:20:24 pm »

I'd say 'prove' yourself to the people at your new school before you start asking for OT (however well intended it is!)

Besides which, they'll have almost finished doing the time tabling for the NSY, by now or by early next week at the latest....

[/quote]

You're right. I should wait, especially with a new school. I shouldn't be asking for too many things at the start of a new job.