Read 2960 times

Why is my internet disconnected?
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:11:49 am »
My internet was disconnected a couple days ago for 24 hours and it was just disconnected again. I was told by the previous NET that the internet is apart of the rent, so I don't know anything about the service. I have been downloading torrents but given what I've read most people don't have a problem with that. Could I be reaching some kind of bandwidth limit from Skyping too much?

EDIT: I unsuccessfully tried to delete this upon finding my internet is now working. I did find another thread including people in the same situation. Maybe apartment internet just sucks?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:18:39 am by smithptb3 »
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
Re: Why is my internet disconnected?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:54:50 am »
I know at least with my apartment my internet spikes really hard sometimes. My guess is it's when other people in the apartment are all using it, which is pretty shitty, but that's the nature of the beast with apartment provided internet. I play computer games, so it realllllly annoys the hell out of me when I suddenly get 1000 ping for 2-3 minutes in game, and other times it'll hover around 300-500 which makes playing stupidly difficult.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• Squire
  • Super Waygook

• March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:57:28 am »
Mine went down for no apparent reason recently. The first couple of days I waited to see if it would come back, then for a few days tried ringing the foreign service helpline (KT) and never got an answer despite trying at all times of the day(s). Eventually I asked my CT to call KT and find out what's up. They sent a guy and he got his toolkit out, did something with the router and it's fine now

In answer to your question I have no idea.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:34 am »
i dont think this is the right place to ask this question.
we dont know:

1) your provider
2) your type of internet (private, package, apartment, etc.)
3) location  (cities vs. country)
4) source (satelite, wifi, cable, etc.)

could you give us more details?
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:07:54 am »
My internet stopped working once and it was because a business below me was doing construction and they somehow cut the line that connected many people's internet in the building.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:16:51 am »
we dont know:

1) your provider

You're probably right about it being in the wrong area. I don't know if it's possible to change that.

It is apartment internet, and I know no details about it. I am in Daegu.

Given other people's responses, it seems like a common problem with apartment internet. I was concerned my internet had been disabled due to some illicit activity on my part (yeah, I'm a bit paranoid).

• wizall
  • Veteran

• May 01, 2012, 09:23:53 am
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:18 am »
we dont know:

1) your provider

You're probably right about it being in the wrong area. I don't know if it's possible to change that.

It is apartment internet, and I know no details about it. I am in Daegu.

Given other people's responses, it seems like a common problem with apartment internet. I was concerned my internet had been disabled due to some illicit activity on my part (yeah, I'm a bit paranoid).

Yeah, it's not uncommon for service to be interrupted. Mine was inexplicably cut off because of some contract issue with the school/apartment building/KT. I just had my co-teacher call about it and it was fixed the next day. As far as torrents go, unless you're uploading terabytes I wouldn't concern yourself too much. Not here.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 09:30:37 am »

Yeah, it's not uncommon for service to be interrupted. Mine was inexplicably cut off because of some contract issue with the school/apartment building/KT. I just had my co-teacher call about it and it was fixed the next day. As far as torrents go, unless you're uploading terabytes I wouldn't concern yourself too much. Not here.

Thanks for the info!

Have any of you ordered own internet service because you were unsatisfied with the reliability of apartment internet? I'm debating whether or not periodic blackouts would justify another bill.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:53:09 am »
some companies will charge (like electricity) a data fee, when you reach a monthly limit.

but its not a 'common' charge. when i was in seoul, i had a monthly limit, it was part of a package-deal, and included the TV. so, whatever data was downloaded from TV and from the Internet would add up and that would be my charge. stopped watching TV.

as for doing something 'illegal', i havent seen reports of this regarding internet.

sure there are sites that you get warnings for regardless of their content. i have been to shops and gaming sites that are blocked here in korea and yet are available back home.

so. what im saying is, "internet content" wont get you to make a red light alarm go off at the Internet Provider headquarters.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.