Read 2653 times

I'm buying a car tomorrow from another waygook. I'm going to their registration office with them to get the transfer documents, and I need to know what docs I need to bring for this part, then I need to know what I need to bring when I register the car at the dong registration office where I live. I'll bring my ARC card and passport tomorrow, and I have a form showing I have insurance set up, but what else do I need? Also my ARC card expires in March but I can't renew it until I get a residence form from my new landlord in a couple of weeks, so I'm a bit worried the car registration office will get fussy, saying I'm not authorized to live here much longer.

Looking at this it seems pretty straightforward:

http://southkorea.angloinfo.com/transport/vehicle-ownership/registering-a-vehicle/

But then looking at this (http://seoul.angloinfo.com/information/transport/vehicle-ownership/buying-a-car/), it mentions "For used cars only, certificate of residence in Korea (issued by local office, Dong Sa Mu So or Gu)"

Do I need that, or is the ARC card enough?

And then this (http://www.korea4expats.com/article-buying-and-registering-a-car.html) says you need "the certificate of the owner’s registered seal impression to register the transfer of ownership."

Well I'm buying from a foreigner, not a Korean, and where we come from we don't have these Korean stamp seal things. Is just signing acceptable?

If anyone has bought a car recently in this manner it would be great if you can just tell me what I need. I'm hoping just an ARC card, passport, and proof of insurance is fine.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:45:54 am by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

Re: Quick: exactly what docs do I need if buying a car from a private seller?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:20:19 pm »
A driving license would be another thing you'd need. However, I wasn't required to provide a stamp of any sort signing was fine.
Also remember there is a tax payable when buying certain used cars in Korea.

Re: Quick: exactly what docs do I need if buying a car from a private seller?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:32 pm »
My CT finally reappeared and I got her to ask the car registration places and they said I need a document called a Certificate of Alien Registration, so I went down and got that at the local dong office (or eup office in my case).

• Marsh89
  • Waygookin

• September 04, 2012, 11:21:20 am
    • Suwon, South Korea
I'm looking at buying a car from a foreigner as well.  Could you tell me which documents you needed exactly?  How difficult was it to obtain the documents like the Certificate of Alien Registration? Could you do the whole process in a day?

Thanks!

I would suggest not buying from privates until they get checked for diseases :P

I'm looking at buying a car from a foreigner as well.  Could you tell me which documents you needed exactly?  How difficult was it to obtain the documents like the Certificate of Alien Registration? Could you do the whole process in a day?

Thanks!

Hi, the Certificate of Alien Registration is called 외국인등록사실증명 in Korean. You can get it at your city's local residency registration office...I dunno what it is called in Korean but a Korean co-worker should know. Basically it's where everyone living in the town or city or dong has to register where they live. It will be really easy to get the Certificate of Alien Registration, it will take like 5 minutes for them to print it and cost like 3000 to 6000W. You probably won't have to wait in line.

I go into more detail about what I had to do here, go to the second post for how to get the car transfer registered:

http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=68393.0

It is pretty straightforward but all the documents you have to fill out are in Korean, and the people at the vehicle registration office probably won't speak much English, so it's really best to bring a Korean friend. Main thing is to get insurance set up beforehand and to bring a copy of your insurance contract, and to get the Certificate of Alien Registration. The other forms are at the vehicle registration office. Also the seller will need to make sure their parking tickets are paid off, and that the car passed its latest inspection.