Read 926 times

• sbelleball
  • Adventurer

• February 18, 2011, 09:08:37 am
    • South Korea
Who do I contact for a private (사립) school???
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »
If I have a question regarding education and some requirements in the private school system (not 학원 but 사립) who would I contact? I am talking about Seoul, specifically.

I have done a little bit of research and only can find SMOE which claims to only serve public schools in the Seoul area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Re: Who do I contact for a private (사립) school???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:38:15 pm »
if you're looking for a private school job, you could check Dave's job board, or contact recruiters, who might have some placements.

as for the educational requirements, they are usually the same as for any ESL job in Korea, at least for elementary schools. I have two friends teaching in private schools in Seoul, and both have a Bachelor's degree and a TEFL/TESL certificate. for private middle and/or high schools the qualification requirements might be different - I'm really not sure. the qualification requirements may even vary from job to job, school to school. usually the job ad will list the educational requirements.

just be warned though that private schools often work their teachers to the bone. both my friends regularly do 10+ hour days at school, together with taking work home to do at night and on the weekends. and sometimes teachers at private schools are expected to teach other subjects besides English, but in English. for example, you might be asked to teach English, Math, Geography, etc. you might also very well be expected to set and grade tests and exams, deal with parent-teacher conferences, write school reports, etc.

• sbelleball
  • Adventurer

• February 18, 2011, 09:08:37 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:16:33 pm »
if you're looking for a private school job, you could check Dave's job board, or contact recruiters, who might have some placements.

as for the educational requirements, they are usually the same as for any ESL job in Korea, at least for elementary schools. I have two friends teaching in private schools in Seoul, and both have a Bachelor's degree and a TEFL/TESL certificate. for private middle and/or high schools the qualification requirements might be different - I'm really not sure. the qualification requirements may even vary from job to job, school to school. usually the job ad will list the educational requirements.

just be warned though that private schools often work their teachers to the bone. both my friends regularly do 10+ hour days at school, together with taking work home to do at night and on the weekends. and sometimes teachers at private schools are expected to teach other subjects besides English, but in English. for example, you might be asked to teach English, Math, Geography, etc. you might also very well be expected to set and grade tests and exams, deal with parent-teacher conferences, write school reports, etc.

Hi there, Johnny Russian, and thanks for the info.  ;D

However, I am, actually, already in Korea and already have landed a private school position. The reason I made this post is because I need to find out, as directly as possible, what the Office of Ed requires in terms of documents. My new employer wants me to get an "international background check" and a new medical check, etc. etc. as she says it's what the Office of Ed requires. I'd like to bypass her and talk to them directly about what they need... I guess I could have clarified that... Also, she is not very communicative and I don't want to ask her directly for their number because I don't want her to lose face.

So the question remains: does anyone know of the Office of Education that would be best to contact for any inquiries about private schools (사립 not 학원)????

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:32:31 am »
 Contact " Star" recruiting agency they have connections to various Christian private schools in Seoul. I have only a BA and TESL. I was given an interview. I didn't get the job. Competition is intense. Be prepared to meet the next candidate as you leave the interview. You will be expected to do a ten minute demonstation lesson. Plus a one on one interview. I was not asked any questions about my faith. If you get the job you will be expected to teach both Science and Math in English.