Read 1841 times

Health insurance back home (Americans)
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:17:33 pm »
Okay, this one's for the Americans who've returned home...

Since the pass of the Affordable Care Act, you can stay on your parent's insurance until you're 26, provided you don't have your own. As I'm going home a lovely 6 months before I turn 26, I plan to get in on that action.

However, I've been told by my father's insurance provider that I need "proof of loss of insurance due to end of contract."

If anyone has had to deal with this, what did you use? And does anyone know if there is any sort of loss of insurance documentation I can get from my school/the MOE?

Any ideas/thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
Re: Health insurance back home (Americans)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:35 am »
Ha.

By the time you figure it out, you will need your own. 

And those new policies have like a $4,000 deductible. Who and the heck has 4 grand laying around to pay their deductible before the health insurance kicks in?  Most Americans can barely pay off their credit cards monthly.

Americans were sold on a real turd.

• nimrand
  • Super Waygook

• April 07, 2013, 07:40:28 am
    • Lawrence, KS
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:48:38 am »

Since the pass of the Affordable Care Act, you can stay on your parent's insurance until you're 26, provided you don't have your own. As I'm going home a lovely 6 months before I turn 26, I plan to get in on that action.

However, I've been told by my father's insurance provider that I need "proof of loss of insurance due to end of contract."

If anyone has had to deal with this, what did you use? And does anyone know if there is any sort of loss of insurance documentation I can get from my school/the MOE?

You could try showing them your teaching contract, which shows you were covered by the Korean National Health Insurance plan until that teaching contract ended.

Aside from that, I'm not sure it's legal for them to require this proof.  The law requires that they allow dependents under the age of 26 on the policy.  Unless there are some conditions on this requirement, they have no grounds to refuse you.  If showing them the contract doesn't work, I'd insist on speaking to a manager (not a lowly customer service rep) to sort my situation out, since yours is not the typical situation and their standard operating procedures is not going to fit neatly into your situation.

As for the $4,000 deductible, perhaps some policies do, but I know people back home who have compared plans in the exchange to those they get from work, and the policies available on the exchange provided comparable coverage for less than what they were currently paying.  That's for policies in Kansas, at least.

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• May 05, 2013, 01:25:37 am
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:24:29 am »
If i was on my dad's insurance before, but left it when I came here, can I still get back on?  I'll be 24 when I go home, and will probably just be working  a restaurant job to save money for my next trip abroad (spending most of my money that could be saved here paying bills I still have back home).  So I won't have much money to pay for whatever the Affordable Care Act requires
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:47:57 am »
You were exempt since working overseas.  I'm sure there is something in the law relating to getting coverage once you return.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:05:09 am »
You should be able to be put back on your parents' insurance if you're still under 26.

If you're working overseas, you're exempt from having to have insurance at whatever the latest deadline is. I've talked to two representatives who have said the same thing. There's going to be a way to claim an exemption for the fee you would have assessed on your taxes (or another way to claim the credit, it might technically be a credit for being insured, not a fee for not being insured). According to these to reps, I should contact someone at healthcare.gov when I return, and they'll open a "special" enrollment period for me. They didn't say how quickly I'd need to get that taken care of, so I don't know if there's much of a grace period or not.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• leabea87
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:36:05 pm
    • Gyeongsan, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:49:26 pm »
This happened to me.

I received a healthcare pamphlet from the National Health Insurance Corporation. It had my name, alien registration number, place of employment, policy number, and the issue date on it. All of this was in Korean but I was told that a translator was available at the insurance company. I scanned it and faxed it to them along with a copy of my current contract (just the pages with my contract dates and healthcare benefits). The representative informed me that she'd enroll me retroactively. Less than a week later, I was able to use my insurance again! =)

Here's the thing though. Some NETs get pamphlets and some don't. I think it's no longer mandatory that they send you one as your insurance is linked to your alien registration card. Therefore, it's going to be hard for you to prove that your medical insurance in Korea will end soon. If you don't have a pamphlet, you'll need to request some sort of documentation. This link should help you, www.nhic.co.kr
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:51:06 pm by leabea87 »

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 02:12:18 pm »

You will be ending your contract right? You will have no job or income when you get home right? If both are true then you can go on government insurance medicaid as long as your states doesn't have a republican governor that blocked the expansion of Medicaid. 

Medicaid insurance is very good and cheap. There is no 4,000 dollar deducible for medicaid in fact there is no deducible.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:19:32 pm by deweybeach »