Read 1004 times

• tausha12
  • Veteran

• May 03, 2012, 07:24:08 am
    • Dongducheon, South Korea
Incorrect dates on document.
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:12:33 pm »
Two years ago I started a job with GEPIK at a middle school. In order to get the 2.1 million salary, that school needed a career certificate from my hagwon stating that I had worked there for a year.

Fast forward two years that original document from my hagwon is no longer enough to keep my pay scale. Currently I make 2.2 million and for my next contract I should make 2.3 million. Anyway, my recruiter said I needed a document from the Board of Education in my hagwon's city. My recruiter obtained the document and it has my name and ARC number but the dates don't even match when I worked in the hagwon. I worked at the hagwon from 8/2009 to 10/10. The document states I was employed from 9/09 to 6/11. My recruiter says it is fine but it isn't to me. What should I do?

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
Re: Incorrect dates on document.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »
you should weigh the pro's and con's of this situation, and make a decision based on what you can live with for the rest of your life.

the first date, 8/09 changing to 9/09 doesn't seem like that big of a deal (to me).
but the second one is almost a year difference. that would get my attention.

what is their reasoning for this?
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• tausha12
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »
I have no idea. I am trying to find out how the dates  could be so off.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:21:45 pm »
Well, according to GEPIK in 2012, when I was in it, you could only count ONE year outside of GEPIK to your payscale, whether hagwon or public school. Even if you did 5 years in EPIK, only one year counted for GEPIK. I am not sure if they changed that or not.

• tausha12
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:23:25 pm »
I am only counting one year. All I needed the document from the board of education for was to increase my pay scale at my next GEPIK school. Otherwise I would have only been able to make the 2.2 million which I already get.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »
you can have 1 year and 9 months under your belt, using the changed dates.

or you can have  1 year and 2 months (original/actual dates).

9/9-6/11 = 1 year, 9 months
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:53:47 pm »
First was there any issue with starting with the hagwon.  For example did you have orientation?  Did you work under the table for a time before going on a visa trip.   I also think it just off because your boss was late registering you with MOE.  Or hey was not counting time at the stat due to legality and that.

As to the missing time at the end.  I think it is also likely when you finished a year, your boss should have reregistered you with MOE.   So maybe they have you only for the time your where registered with them.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• tausha12
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 01:57:15 pm »
There weren't any issues. That hagwon was great.

I came to Korea in late July, watched some classes for a few days then had a week vacation. I started on 8/3/2009 until 10/30/2010. So the hagwon could have been late registering me which would make sense with the 9/09 start date but nothing about the end date 6/30/2011 makes sense!

• Zeta
  • Waygookin

• January 24, 2014, 01:11:52 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:48 pm »
Let me help you out here because I have direct experience with this one. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone else searching on this topic because it can be quite important.

Your school/company basically couldn't register you as an Employee until they can submit your ARC number. Now the problem is you can't really get your ARC until 2-3 weeks after you land in Korea, which you will probably start working immediately when you arrive.

The government finally figured out this is kind of messed up so when you go apply for your ARC they give you a receipt - your hagwon should scan and use this receipt to register your employment with the government. But a lot of hagwons are lazy about this or don't know about the new legislation.

I worked in a hagwon first year and this happened to me... :

I got a new job in public school for my second year in Korea after finishing a one year contract with the hagwon. And one of the documents required from me to prove where I am on the GEPIK scale (pay) for my public school job was proof from the local education office that I had been working for 1 year.

Well my public school refused to accept the document because it was in record as 11 months not 12 months of employment due to this registration problem hagwons have.

So to get the document from the education office with my true working time (full 12 months) I had to:
1) Tell the director of my hagwon to write a letter stating that it was their mistake for reporting the false date and stating my real starting date.
2) Show a bank statement of 12 monthly payments. Which I got easily from my bank.

After they (my hagwon) gave me #1 and I got #2.  When my hagwon manager called me into a meeting and gave me #1 she was crying, telling me my director was super pissed at me, and she told me she knew I didn't mean to cause trouble but because they had to write the letter and change the date to the actual date they kind of got a demerit from the education board presiding them.

I returned to the education office with the documents to fix the dates feeling a bit guilty but knew I had to do anyways.

I don't think it cost them money but it's kind of a black mark on their record when it comes to taxes or favour or something. If they already had some demerits probably they would get a fine. Luckily I did this just a week or two before leaving so I didn't have to suffer any real workplace repercussions from them being upset.

Yea it sucked for them, but they should not be lazy and report my employment based on the ARC receipt I mentioned earlier.

Anyways ... it (having the incorrect dates) could bite you in the butt if you are using it as proof of experience (for pay and so on) unless you have the proper dates in the records.

It depends on the employer but some(most?) employers will give you a proper pay increase because the misreporting of working time is common.

But public school tend to be more strict because they have to prove to the government why they need or are using XX budget for you and government is stricter about proper documentation.

I should note that my incident only really got resolved properly because my Korean girlfriend called the education office I went to (after the first time I went and was like wtf my documents are incorrect what should I do?) and explained the whole situation in Korean and asked them what I could do about it. So I knew that I had to ask for the letter of correction from my hagwon and get those bank statements, and also the education office already knew exactly what was up in case my hagwon tried to pull any stunts on me.

For your case you probably need to get in touch with your education office with a Korean speaker and tell them your situation. You can use your salary payments in your bank statements as proof of working for them for X (true number of) months since they should have transferred money to you from their account so their name is on record. If you cant get the letter from them fixing your dates you can probably get them in deep trouble from the education office. Almost always the government will be on your side but your mileage may vary.

Also I explained why they reported you starting a month later than you did but as for longer than you did... it could be some shady stuff your hagwon is trying to squeeze out tax money or cover another (illegal) employment practice (like a temp worker) from the government by using you as cover, or something super lazy. It will all be uncovered if you bring your proof to the education office and get them to look into it... hopefully.

I hope this is helpful for any readers,
Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:33:27 pm by Zeta »