Read 1017 times

• Rachyb86
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2013, 12:44:30 pm
    • Busan
EPIK - signed contract for a second year
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:29 am »
Help all EPIK teachers out there..I am in a bit of a pickle. I signed on for a 2nd year but my circumstances have changed now and I may have togo home. My question is, can I opt out now with 2 weeks of the old contract left and not get penalised?

Re: EPIK - signed contract for a second year
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:20:34 am »
I think you've gone beyond the point where you can get out of this without burning some bridges. The school is going to have to execute a mad scramble to replace you, but it's still better than leaving without notice suddenly in your contract.

You signed a legally binding piece of paper and acknowledged your intentions to stay and work another year. I don't know how the system works in this situation, but it could affect your pension and severance pay.

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2013, 07:46:49 pm
    • Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:29:12 am »
I think you've gone beyond the point where you can get out of this without burning some bridges. The school is going to have to execute a mad scramble to replace you, but it's still better than leaving without notice suddenly in your contract.

You signed a legally binding piece of paper and acknowledged your intentions to stay and work another year. I don't know how the system works in this situation, but it could affect your pension and severance pay.

It will not affect your severance or pension. Just tell them that things have changed and you cannot do it anymore. Don't worry about it. This is a normal part of life.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:37:13 pm »
i don't think it'll be a mad scramble to replace you. they'll just pull someone off the EPIK waiting list. that person might arrive a few weeks after the start of the term, but i doubt the school will be crucially affected by it for that long.