Read 3612 times

Hey I am will Seoul EPIK and I haven't renewed my contract. I am thinking taking a hagwon job however that starts a day or two after my contract ends. In the contract it says that if I take another job in Korea I can't get the exit bonus. I was hoping to still get that however. How does the MOE know if I take a new job if I don't report it to them? Any prior experience with this issue would be appreciated. 

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Staying in Country, Getting Exit Allowance (Not severance or Pension)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:12 pm »
no. the exit allowance is supposed to pay your for way out of the country.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 01:51:07 pm »
Sigh........... another request for help to break the law and diddle your employer. As I said to the poster that was trying to dodge taxes, your moral compass needs adjusting.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• barbbui
  • Veteran

• November 02, 2010, 02:15:54 pm
    • korea
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:33:06 am »
no way around it. before you can submit a recipt and get a refund.  now (at least for gepik) you need a boarding pass or passport exit stamp.

you might have to get 2 round trip ticket. stay overnight or come back same day.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:56 am »
Sigh........... another request for help to break the law and diddle your employer. As I said to the poster that was trying to dodge taxes, your moral compass needs adjusting.

I was just asking about the tax question because my school told me I could get my severance tax free if I brought in a proof of residency from the states.  But I looked into this proof of residency and it was extremely convoluted and expensive!  I was just wondering if anyone else had gone through the process.  I think it's to avoid being taxed twice. So before you start judging my morals or anyone else's for that matter....actually you shouldn't judge anyone.  Get off your pedestal, buddy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:50:49 am by tintin1987 »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:58:53 pm »

I was just asking about the tax question because my school told me I could get my severance tax free if I brought in a proof of residency from the states.  But I looked into this proof of residency and it was extremely convoluted and expensive!  I was just wondering if anyone else had gone through the process.  I think it's to avoid being taxed twice. So before you start judging my morals or anyone else's for that matter....actually you shouldn't judge anyone.  Get off your pedestal, buddy.

So tintin and Waygook123456 are the same person?  Your contract says, by your own admission, you cannot get it unless you leave, you are looking to get it without leaving, so that is illegal and therefore I have the right to 'judge' as you put it.

If you ask how to beat the law, then expect to be judged, sorry if you can't don't like it, don't ask for advice on how to break the law.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:05:42 am »
Under the GEPIK contract, you have 10 days to leave the country.  Even if you have another GEPIK job lined up, as long as you leave end of contract you can get the exit allowance by sending in the boarding pass .
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 02:08:31 pm »
Does anyone know if this is the same for EPIK? I'm leaving to take a hagwon job without leaving the country, but I assumed I would still get my exit allowance whether I actually left or not. I checked the contract and it doesn't specify that I need to provide proof that I'm leaving, nor has anyone asked for it.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »

So tintin and Waygook123456 are the same person?  Your contract says, by your own admission, you cannot get it unless you leave, you are looking to get it without leaving, so that is illegal and therefore I have the right to 'judge' as you put it.

If you ask how to beat the law, then expect to be judged, sorry if you can't don't like it, don't ask for advice on how to break the law.

Unfortunately, confusedsafferinkor ea..we're not the same person.  I'm not talking about the exit allowance.  I'm speaking of the process to receive your severance tax-free.  I was notified by my school about this process of obtaining a proof-of-residency so that you can obtain your severance without being taxed twice.  I just wanted to know if anyone else had been through this process.  Obviously it is not illegal.  So, again...get off your pedestal, Buddy.

• sasaafi
  • Adventurer

• January 08, 2013, 01:15:50 pm
    • San Francisco, CA
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 03:02:33 pm »
Does anyone know if this is the same for EPIK? I'm leaving to take a hagwon job without leaving the country, but I assumed I would still get my exit allowance whether I actually left or not. I checked the contract and it doesn't specify that I need to provide proof that I'm leaving, nor has anyone asked for it.

In your case you will get the exit allowance, just be sure NOT to request a letter of release, if you then you won't get the allowance.

It's only if you end up working for another public school that you won't get the exit allowance.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 03:19:39 pm »

In your case you will get the exit allowance, just be sure NOT to request a letter of release, if you then you won't get the allowance.

It's only if you end up working for another public school that you won't get the exit allowance.

So I basically do nothing and don't overthink, then I will get the money. Sweet. Hope you're right :)

• sasaafi
  • Adventurer

• January 08, 2013, 01:15:50 pm
    • San Francisco, CA
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 08:17:00 pm »

So I basically do nothing and don't overthink, then I will get the money. Sweet. Hope you're right :)

You should be safe, a friend of mine spoke with her MOE and even with immigration about the same exact situation you're in. But, you know Korea, things are not always how they seem; fingers crossed...

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 06:37:48 am »

Unfortunately, confusedsafferinkor ea..we're not the same person.  I'm not talking about the exit allowance.  I'm speaking of the process to receive your severance tax-free.  I was notified by my school about this process of obtaining a proof-of-residency so that you can obtain your severance without being taxed twice.  I just wanted to know if anyone else had been through this process.  Obviously it is not illegal.  So, again...get off your pedestal, Buddy.

If you are not the same person, then I wasn't talking to you. The title of the thread is... Staying in the country and getting an exit allowance. It is not about severance.