Read 4254 times

where and when to apply to gangnam?
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering could someone tell me out there where do I apply for public school positions in Gangnam? I have seen the odd recruiter advertise but I really don't know who I should go to...... Can anyone recomend someone?

Also I will be looking for a job starting either the end of August/Start of Sept.......... Is this a good time to apply?

Ideally I would like Gangnam but Seoul is an option too if anyone has recomendations....

Note: I have all the requirements to be level 1 pay grade anywhere in Korea......
Rocking out in the ROK!!! :D

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
Re: where and when to apply to gangnam?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:22 pm »
Gangnam openings are like pop up In-n-outs. One day they are there, the next they are gone. You need to watch The ESL job boards on the other site like a hawk. The do appear...usually around October for the March openings, but the odd one or two falls outside that season

Hope that helps...
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:01:13 am »
Public school positions in Gangnam are usually funded by City Hall, are very rare and usually not advertised.

I am not sure of your qualifications but I know one qualification you need to teach elementary school is a minimum of 2 years teaching experience with kids from 7-12 yrs old.

But anyway, as Epistemology said they are usually advertised late in the year for March openings.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:04:25 am »
I have the 2 years expierience already........... I'll have to keep watching so thanks

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:21:10 am »
Gangnam just advertised for people for elementary and high/middle school about a month ago. I had an interview on the 10th of February but didn't get the job. Yes they require 2 year experience to apply. Interviews are in person. Not sure if they will be recruiting for school starting in August or not.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:29:07 am »
Gangnam just advertised for people for elementary and high/middle school about a month ago. I had an interview on the 10th of February but didn't get the job. Yes they require 2 year experience to apply. Interviews are in person. Not sure if they will be recruiting for school starting in August or not.

Nive I saw those positions........ Were they for March ya???? I'm actually thinking more for August!

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:47:38 am »
These jobs are advertised by the Gangnam District Office. When I was hired by them, I found the posting on Dave's ESL. That was a year and a half now, not sure if they are still posting on there. Seems that many teachers currently working with them re-sign and there are just a few openings in the spring and fall. I'm not completely sure of this, but I have heard that the Gangnam District Office is now only looking to hire teachers with education majors...again not sure as to the validity of this. I know that SMOE also places one teacher in each of the Gangnam public schools (but the pay and benefits are much lower through them). So each school normally has more than 1 native teacher, some have 2 and some have 3.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:03 am »
The recent advetisments didn't rewquire education degrees............ ..   I was looking at them...... A friend of mine with no education degree was offered a job with them but he turned it down in favor of another job......... If I'm looking for a job end of August when do you think they'd be putting up the advertisments?

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:06:52 am »
The recent advetisments didn't rewquire education degrees............ ..   I was looking at them...... A friend of mine with no education degree was offered a job with them but he turned it down in favor of another job......... If I'm looking for a job end of August when do you think they'd be putting up the advertisments?

I was offered an interview without an education major but didn't get the job. Maybe the other candidates had education majors so they got the job. Not sure.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:34 am »
No my friend was defintly offered a job without an education degree....... this was for a high school though!

• robvandan
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2011, 05:54:23 am
    • Seoul, Korea.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:40 am »
It will probably be better to apply for other jobs via SMOE or EPIK.

There's a much higher chance of you securing a position in the first place, you may be placed IN Gangnam or at least close by. Not only that, but Gangnam schools seems to suffer from ridiculous levels of pushy parents, super-competitive students and burned out teachers who are burdened with high levels of work, which makes for a less than enjoyable teaching experience. Combine that with living in a very crowded area, more than likely a shoebox apartment and high amounts of noise and poor air quality, i'm not sure if it's all it's made out to be. But of course, if you have your heart set on it, go for it!

"Difference is, I walked out a winner. That's my key to success."

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 10:44:55 am »
It will probably be better to apply for other jobs via SMOE or EPIK.

There's a much higher chance of you securing a position in the first place, you may be placed IN Gangnam or at least close by. Not only that, but Gangnam schools seems to suffer from ridiculous levels of pushy parents, super-competitive students and burned out teachers who are burdened with high levels of work, which makes for a less than enjoyable teaching experience. Combine that with living in a very crowded area, more than likely a shoebox apartment and high amounts of noise and poor air quality, i'm not sure if it's all it's made out to be. But of course, if you have your heart set on it, go for it!

I agree with you here....... I actually had a gangnam student poor ( hate saying it about a kid but......... what  a bitch).... the terms are attractive is the thing and I'd be guaranteed being central............ ..

I'm sorting out my application for SMOE now but I want to have the most possible options I can..............