Read 7600 times

• LAJenney
  • Veteran

• January 02, 2012, 08:19:51 am
    • Iowa
    more
Re: Recommendation letter denial
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 02:36:21 pm »
Gosh I am not 100% sure. We are considered a public school that is privately funded and have special admissions lottery. There are tuition costs.
Looking to make new friends in Korea! I will be residing near Seoul, but living in Bundang.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »
The only document they are required to give you is one that states that you worked at the school and when/how long (I forget the name off the top of my head).

재직증명서 (Certificate of employment).

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 03:11:22 pm »
From what I've seen, the school that will hire you will not be thorough with the documents they receive. My recommendation letters from my old co-teacher don't have an official stamp from the schools I have worked at. They are just letters on plain pieces of paper with their personal contact information.

If you have your heart set on a public school, I'd say talk to the co-teacher you are closest to and have her write the recommendation letter without the official stamp from the school. Pull her aside and talk in private if you have to. Tell her that you'll have a friend write the letter if she's scared to write one up at work. All she would have to do is just take the call outside in the hall or in her car if the school you are applying to actually calls the number on the recommendation letter. Hopefully you have been able to stay close to a teacher who will be on your side. If not, then that will be a lesson for you to make sure you have at least one teacher at your school who has your back in the future.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:15:08 pm by jaysoon17 »

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:39 pm »
Unfortunately I'm not sure that you have any legal options. As ridiculous as it your employer sounds, I don't think she's legally bound to provide a letter of recommendation if she doesn't want to. I don't think there's anything stopping her from preventing her employees from doing the same either.

If she told every other employee not to write her a recommendation letter and told everyone that she is a bad teacher, and she can prove it, she's interfered with her employment and publicly damaged her reputation. I'd contact a lawyer.

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »
She heard a story that a man could freeze himself through willpower?

It sounds like she had one too many sojus when she went to see Disney's Frozen.

But in all seriousness, do you have an agency or recruiter you went through when you came here? Can you contact them for legal advice? Maybe they can do an intervention of some kind?
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

• michs
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2013, 10:32:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »
Why would a man choose to freeze himself through willpower? Was he suicidal?

I honestly want to hear more about this story. Sorry about your rec letter.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 03:08:11 pm »
I knew someone who taught at a school for 3 years and was denied a letter of recommendation by the new principal and teachers. I also know someone who did a runner and got a letter of recommendation from them after she came back to Korea 2 years later. It makes no sense how it happens here.

The system is so hit and miss it's scary.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 03:11:16 pm »
Bring her some bread and maybe ask the principal or vice principal for a letter. There is no way she will get angry at them.

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 03:40:11 pm »
I wonder if they even read the letters. 
I came across a job I wanted to apply for not too long ago, but the deadline to submit an application was just 2 days later so I didn't have time to get letters of rec. from my co-teachers.
I just gave them copies of my letters that I used to get my last job. I let them know that I could give them more recent letters later on if they needed them, but it never came up again--and i got the job

Your co-teacher is a complete nut

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »
sue her for public defamation

korea has strict laws against stuff like this and you have evidence against it

your coteacher will settle out of court=$$

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 05:22:28 pm »
I recently applied for a public school position with Gepik and they offered me a job. They asked for contact details of my current co-teacher and then suddenly they told me that they could no longer place me in a public school job. I confirmed that it was due to her reference, any suggestions on how I should deal with her?

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »
Koreans dont use recommendation letters.  They use Certificates of Employment.  Maybe only the recruiter wants it.  Tell em to piss off.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 03:58:33 pm »
Koreans dont use recommendation letters.  They use Certificates of Employment.  Maybe only the recruiter wants it.  Tell em to piss off.

Tell who to piss off? The recruiter?

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 05:25:31 pm »

Recommendation letters may not be as common in Korea as they are in our home countries, but they certainly exist.  My principal gave me one (without me even asking).
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• weRborg
  • Super Waygook

• September 20, 2012, 05:15:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 05:35:56 pm »
I taught in Korea for 7 years. In 7 years, I took one sick day. I was harassed all day via calls and text messages from my employer that day saying how I was letting my students down and I was such a disappointment and how they wish they never hired me and that I should at least come in for half a day.

7 years. 1 sick day.

I knew then it was time to go.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 06:40:42 pm »
I recently applied for a public school position with Gepik and they offered me a job. They asked for contact details of my current co-teacher and then suddenly they told me that they could no longer place me in a public school job. I confirmed that it was due to her reference, any suggestions on how I should deal with her?

i would just quietly point out to her that you know she is giving you a bad reference and that you are very much aware that giving someone a bad reference is actually illegal in South Korea. not only does it count as defamation, which is of course a criminal offense here, but it is also against Article 40 of the Labor Standards Act: "No one shall ... have communication for the purpose of interfering with employment of a worker."