Read 1091 times

Using holidays to leave the country
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:11:20 am »
If I were to use my summer vacation days at the end of my contract in August, and flew back to my home country early (still technically during my contract), would this present a problem for receiving my severance pay/airfare reimbursement?

• fourthchild
  • Veteran

• March 07, 2012, 01:23:38 pm
    • Hwacheon, Gangwondo, South Korea
Re: Using holidays to leave the country
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:35:15 am »
Yes. Generally.  I've seen people have a lot of trouble trying to do this before.  Maybe if you have a really easy going school you could be allowed though.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:01:07 am »
The education office is really stingy about that and if they find out you will be in trouble.  If you leave early you have not completed your contract and will not get the perks of completing your contract (airfare) and you will not have worked for an entire year so you will not get severence.  I've heard of some schools being nice and letting it slide but that's the exception, not the rule.  Don't bank on this being a viable option because it's not. 

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:05:05 am »
the daejeon MOE has said, at least two times, at contract renewal that it IS acceptable to use vacation days to leave the country early.

in basic terms, the contract states that for every day that you are not on vacation, or is a holiday or weekend, you must come to work. vacation days are officially sanctioned off days. you are technically working (or rather, getting paid for it).

if you're really unsure, call your MOE and ask them.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:23:40 pm »
SMOE is also okay with this as long as
a) you have enough vacation days to cover your absence
b) school agrees
c) your visa does not expire before your contract date (if it does- you will not get your benefits)
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase