Read 3224 times

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
Masters or Bachelor of Ed?
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:48:35 pm »
Hey.

So I've been thinking I might like to teach in international schools someday. (Not necessarily here in Korea, more likely Europe or South America)

As of right now I just have a bachelors. Anyone have any advice what would be better looked upon at international schools between a masters and a bachelor of education?

I'm kind of leaning towards the B.ed, since it will allow me to teach back in Canada if I ever decide to go back, and either degree is probably going to take me 2 years/cost roughly the same.

Opinions?

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
Re: Masters or Bachelor of Ed?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »
Hey.

So I've been thinking I might like to teach in international schools someday. (Not necessarily here in Korea, more likely Europe or South America)

As of right now I just have a bachelors. Anyone have any advice what would be better looked upon at international schools between a masters and a bachelor of education?

I'm kind of leaning towards the B.ed, since it will allow me to teach back in Canada if I ever decide to go back, and either degree is probably going to take me 2 years/cost roughly the same.

Opinions?

For most international schools you need to be a certified teacher so you should pick whatever will allow you to become a certified teacher.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:07:51 pm »
When it comes to a career, a M.Ed would be more beneficial, however, as the other poster said, your license is your golden ticket. You would need that for any real international school. If you get one, you could work in Dubai or Abu Dhabi and rake in a LOT of money. Some of those jobs start at $4000 a month, plus free housing and NO tax.

• ktull
  • Newgookin

• October 10, 2013, 01:17:33 pm
    • Ganghwa
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:24:35 pm »
You should be able to get both your Masters and a teaching certificate.  MIT - Masters in Teaching and CAM - Certification and Masters are two types of programs you could look into. 

I received a BA in Recreation, then went back to get my Masters in Teaching which came with a certification.  The Masters comes with a nice bump in pay as well.

• Shulz
  • Waygookin

• September 16, 2013, 04:30:07 pm
    • Jeju Island
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:58:07 am »
I have a B.Ed and I would have to say an M.Ed would probably be more benefitial in securing a international school position. However you will need a B.Ed in order to get a masters (depending on the school or province). If you only get a B.Ed most schools will require you to have at least 2 years teaching experience with a particular subject. Keep in mind some subject areas are much more dificult to secure a job. If you have a B.A. in either math, science, or English you should be fine. However with any other subject you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will take you without the 2 years experience.

Also, what province do you hail from op? If you are from Ontario I would suggest getting a B.Ed ASAP before they make it dificult to get.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:26:02 am »
I was glad to come across this post.  I too would like to get my B.ed.  Does anyone know if it is possible to get online?  Probably not eh?

• Shulz
  • Waygookin

• Jeju Island
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:54:42 am »
I don't think you can do that in Canada. They are extremely picky regarding teacher applicants and also the universities make much more money filling seats. I think the only form of online teacher education are Additional Basic Qualification courses that you can obtain through online courses. Like I said before get it  ASAP if you're from Ontario. They are going to expand the 1 year program into 2 soon and make it much more dificult for applicants to get into education programs.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:12:52 am »
Ahh ic ic.  I'm from Nova Scotia but don't plan on going back any time soon.  Just thought it would be good to have.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:16:49 am »
I don't think you can do that in Canada. They are extremely picky regarding teacher applicants and also the universities make much more money filling seats. I think the only form of online teacher education are Additional Basic Qualification courses that you can obtain through online courses. Like I said before get it  ASAP if you're from Ontario. They are going to expand the 1 year program into 2 soon and make it much more dificult for applicants to get into education programs.

that deadline has passed. the upcoming 2014-15 school year is the last year the program will be one year.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 09:32:33 am »
]

that deadline has passed. the upcoming 2014-15 school year is the last year the program will be one year.

source?

• Shulz
  • Waygookin

• Jeju Island
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 09:45:32 am »
Hey.

Opinions?

I knew they were going to pass it soon but hadn't heard that they finally set it in stone. It's kind of ridiculous having that program extended by a year. There's only so much you can learn about education in an academic setting. I just hope that they focus more on practica once this change is implemented.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:49:02 am »
]

source?

http://www.ouac.on.ca/news/story/teas-2015/

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• December 23, 2012, 03:39:41 pm
    • bucheon
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 10:30:53 am »
This is incorrect..some schools have extended their dealine such as Queen's and Windsor. Their deadlines are Feb 14th.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:46 am »
well i guess there's still some time then.

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:41 am »
Hmmm thanks for the responses everyone.

I'd resigned myself to two more years of university, but to be really competitive I'll have to get an M.ed too? I assume that's another two years on top?

Dammit, I can't see myself doing four more years of uni...

• ktull
  • Newgookin

• October 10, 2013, 01:17:33 pm
    • Ganghwa
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »
I found this program that is similar to what I did in the states: 

http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/

Gets you a teaching certificate and a Masters in two years.  I'm sure there are other universities offering similar programs.  My program even allowed me to work during the week as classes were on Friday evenings and Saturdays.

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 02:45:48 pm »
To be honest I've never heard of a masters of education before. I assume it does require a bachelor of education right?

Le sigh. Back to the drawing board.

• Shulz
  • Waygookin

• Jeju Island
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 03:23:09 pm »
The only Univeristy in Ontario that I know of that will allow you to graduate with a masters of education within two years is University of Toronto. Although it is very competitive and I am unsure if you have to be enrolled in the Concurrent Education program or not. The degree is essentially the same as a Bachelor of Education in Ontario just with a different title.

• K
  • Super Waygook

• November 03, 2010, 05:38:27 pm
    • SK
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »
This is incorrect..some schools have extended their dealine such as Queen's and Windsor. Their deadlines are Feb 14th.

I applied to the Queen's consecutive education program. The extended deadline for documentation was January 31st.  Regardless, the TEAS deadline has already passed.

• barbbui
  • Veteran

• November 02, 2010, 02:15:54 pm
    • korea
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 09:33:38 am »
What about  online programs like .. Teacher Ready?  There are a few ppl in this forum who are in this program. They seem to like it.  Granted its not a MA but you get a teaching certificate.