Read 7355 times

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
Re: Boss is threatening to fire me, please help!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »

Let this be a cautionary tale to anyone out there. Now I have lost bonus and flight. I already have another job lined up for March 1st, so I am just going to work. I have gotten nowhere with any of the government agencies I have contacted. They have all been very much in favor of the business and little to no help to me.

Good luck to anyone else out there that goes through the Labor Board.

Wow, that's grim. Good to hear you have another job already lined up already though.

Can you tell us what the reason was that the labor board gave you for not helping? I'm surprised they brushed you off. It seemed like a legit case
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• RiceIsNice
  • Waygookin

• March 28, 2013, 08:03:16 am
    • Haman, Gyeongnam
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »
The hagwon owner is commiting tax fraud. He admitted it to you. Is there no way to destroy him?

You got fired 6 days before you were to be paid a large amount of money in bonuses, because you exposed illegal activity on the part of the business owner.

Did you call the pension office to see if you paid into the pension scheme? Did you call the tax authorities to see if a dime of your witholdings ever made it there?

You have soooo much leverage in this situation. You hold irrefutable proof of tax fraud. You are still in the country. You have time on your side.

I'm no lawyer or Korean law expert, but cmon, is there really no way for you to break this person with all the damning evidence you have of his wrongdoing? There must be.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:06:03 pm by RiceIsNice »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 01:54:56 pm »
If your last day is 6 days before the end of your contract, aren't you still entitled to your severance?

As rice said, you have so much damning evidence against your scumbag soon-to-be ex-employer. They fired you for one of 2 reasons (maybe both)

a) they're spooked their illegal activities may be found out and are worried it may get them in trouble, so they want to get rid of you ASAP

b) they've been planning this for a while. The 6 days till the end of contract termination just does not seem like a coincidence to me.

I believe you said you have a recording of your meeting with them. If they clearly stated their tax/pension/insurance dodging activities, I suggest you find a way to use it against them with the NHIC and other related government bodies.

Chances are they'll do the same to the next employee and others after.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »
Forgive my ignorance but if you have been fired then why are you going back to work for them for another month?

What am I not seeing?

If they fired you for exposing their illegal activities what makes you think that they are going to pay you for another month?

Personally, if you know you're not getting severance pay, I say f*ck them and raise hell with the Pension and Tax Offices.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:39 am »
On Monday, I went to the Labor Board to file a petition for wrongful termination. The LB called the school and told them that a school cannot fire someone without a 30 days notice. On Monday evening, I was asked to come back to the school to receive my termination letter. Without the letter, the LB was saying that I had no actual proof of being fired (even though I had the recording, but the LB didn't seem to care about that).

I go to the meeting, and in this meeting the school lets me know that they must give me 30 days notice per the labor law. So instead of "you're fired, get out now!" that I got on Friday, the school changed it to "you're fired, get out on February 22nd!"

I had my Korean friend (she translated for me through the whole process) call the LB on Tuesday morning to see what I could do. The opinion of the LB was "the boss gave you a 30 day notice, what's the problem?"

The school has CCTV of me goofing off in class. A lot. I'm no saint. The school sucks bad, and the boss is a wanna be gangster, but between my goofing off in class and not being sorry for my actions, the LB didn't want to hear any of the recordings. They were clear that the school followed the law with 30 days and that was that.

As for insurance/pension. I found out that I am registered as an independent contractor. When I called the NHIC they said that they had never heard of my school, and that I was the only person on my record. I was the employer, to be concise. Essentially the school registered me, but never gave any of their information. I am totally responsible for what is on my file at the NHIC. But the NHIC didn't want to hear anything, I can only describe it as "institutional ignorance."

So there we are. The boss sucks and made my life hell. The government obviously coached the boss on what to do, and gave me absolutely no assistance at all. That's why I say this is a cautionary tale. Hopefully something in this post will be of use to someone else some day. I have learned a lot, and my nightmare with this school will be over soon.

Now I have about 25 days left to chill out at this school and just being there annoys the hell out of the boss. Then I move on.

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 10:06:06 am »
Do they supply you with a laptop or a computer? Leave a note on there for the next teacher advising them to contact you so you can give them a heads up. Alternatively put a note on one of the text book pages where they will find it.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 01:14:26 pm »

Wow! Thanks for writing it all out. It really shows how easy it is to screw NETs over.

As for insurance/pension. I found out that I am registered as an independent contractor. When I called the NHIC they said that they had never heard of my school, and that I was the only person on my record. I was the employer, to be concise.

I think that this is where they shafted you. There are different rules for independent contractors. Technically an E-2 shouldn't be registered as an independent contractor but it's a grey area so your boss is bending the system in his favor.

The government obviously coached the boss on what to do, and gave me absolutely no assistance at all

Sucks that they did that. What's to stop this guy from doing it again? It's pretty frustrating that a govt institution would instruct dodgy schools on how to abuse foreign teachers.

Good luck with your next employer.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:35 pm »
I agree with what others have said, there is a thread here where you can put down the name of the hagwon so other know that it is not a good place to work.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 06:02:26 pm »
on Tuesdays, there is an English speaking lawyer at the labor board. you can call and get some counciling.

after my entire 'to do' with my ex boss, i was left with the option of 1) taking him to court or 2) letting it go.

either way i would have had to 'give up' what was due to me. the Court System would have meant that i return to the previous city, and waste more time and all that 'good' crap. so i cut my losses....substanti al. bright side is, i THINK i took the better road by not going through Korean Court
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.