Read 1524 times

• katsy3g4
  • Veteran

• August 20, 2011, 05:14:36 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Looking to move from public to hagwon - thoughts?
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:02:18 pm »
I've been teaching in a public school through EPIK for about three years now and have had a great experience with my school and a lot of fun with my kids. These days I've been wanting to move on to a new teaching platform and I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what their experience with it has been.

I teach elementary school, 4th through 6th grade, and I feel like I've learned a lot since becoming a teacher with EPIK. My kids are interesting and fun but lately I really want to have a new challenge and I think adult education would bring it. I know there are hagwons like Pagoda and YBM that offer positions to do just that, but everywhere I look there seems to be a glaringly awful review that makes me think twice about leaving my enjoyable teaching situation. I really want to stretch myself and have the experience of teaching adult learners, but I'm quite honestly nervous that I might leave something that's great to start something that's not.

Has anyone else been in this boat or has gone ahead and gotten an adult hagwon job? How has it been and did you regret leaving your past employment for a hagwon? Also, has jumping from kids to adults been a tough thing to do? I'd tutored a bit one on one and have had a lot of fun with that. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: Looking to move from public to hagwon - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:33 am »
 Contact multiple recruiters and tell them specifically what you want.

• AbigailJoy
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2013, 08:54:19 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:29:43 am »
If you feel that working with adults is a better fit, and you've already had one-on-one tutoring experience, it probably won't be too tough.  I have worked with elementary, high school, and adults.  I enjoy all levels, but adults were a particular favorite.  Luckily, I never had students who were too demanding, as I hear many are.  If you have NET friends who teach in an adult hagwon, ask them what their experience has been like.  Note that this will probably only apply to their specific location, and not the company as a whole.  Also, if you interview with a company, ask to speak with their current NETs.  If the company refuses to allow you to do this, kick 'em to the curb!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:57 am »
No, you should be asking yourself, "How much sleep do I need to function?" Since teaching adults will most likely require split-shifts, you will be a walking zombie. Never done it persoally, but I have witnessed people who have. They want you early in the morning and late at night. Ask yourself if it is really worth it. Good luck.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:55:13 am »
 Another option is teaching teacher trainees. There are numerous government funded institutes throughout Korea. However these jobs will ask for minimum a Masters or a teaching certificate. With several years already in GEPIK you might have a chance of an instititute outside of the Seoul Gyeonggi area. These jobs are really cushy. Lots of vacation time no split shifts.

• michs
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2013, 10:32:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:21:13 am »
Teaching adults is absolutely amazing. Teaching split-shifts is absolutely miserable. It will wear you down like you can't even imagine. I'll never do it again so long as I have a choice and there is no way I would leave EPIK to do it.

That said, I have so many great memories of the adult classes I taught and still keep up with some of the people from class. I like my kids now and have fun with them but I don't find teaching them very rewarding or beneficial (professionally speaking). I learnt A LOT more teaching adults. They actually ask questions and you have to study up on the grammar.