Read 2467 times

• Dadkinson
  • Adventurer

• November 16, 2013, 08:47:52 pm
    • Boeun, South Korea
Stop me if you've heard this one before...
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:53:11 pm »
So, for the month of January my gas bill is quite high. I was informed by my co-teacher that it was exceptionally high, and to mind how much I was using the ondol. I have a rather large apartment of 3 rooms, excluding the kitchen, so I can understand why it's so expensive. It's hard to keep the apartment heated, especially when it's on the 8th floor, on a hill, on the edge of town.  :P  Fair enough! Now I know, and can manage my gas use better and try to seal my bay window.
    The problem is on Friday (which is usually when I get floored with "redo this paperwork" and "pay this bill" news), before my week and a half long vacation to Japan that I am completely funding myself, I'm told that in addition to the high gas bill for this month, I have to pay last month's (December's) too. Now I could've sworn I paid it, as I'm not at all the kind of person to miss something like paying a bill. However, I receive my gas and utilities bill from my co teacher, and he "was on vacation, so forgot to give bill". So because of this joker being lazy, I'm having to dish out more money than I initially thought I would, just before my vacation.
     At this point in my time teaching in Korea, I'm starting to see this as the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm still in the middle of my time at university, and I'm not really having a worthwhile experience when I'm faced with silly things like this, that can be easily avoided. I won't rant and complain about the typical foreigner in Korea experience, but this really got to me. It's not just having to pay out this one time, but what about the future? I don't want to have to go through this again, and the program office isn't much better, as they withheld some money owed to incoming TaLK teachers at the beginning of the year. So even if I do stick it out, from now on I'll be worried that tomorrow I may be screwed over again.
     I plan on paying what utilities need to be paid, just to get past it. I'd like to hear some other opinions, because right now this seems like a damn joke to have to pay out so much before a vacation, because my lazy co-teacher "forgot" to give me my bill.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Stop me if you've heard this one before...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »
do you have a receipt that you paid december's bill?
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:31:38 pm »
unless you paid with cash, there will be a record of it in your bank book. If you have not been keeping your bank book up to date, just swing by an ATM and stick it in (first blank page open and page up from memory).

If money is tight, just don't pay it until you get back from Japan. In my experience, they won't shut off your gas if you are only 1 month behind paying the bill and the fee for not paying on time is pretty small.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:34:17 pm by philby1985 »

• Dadkinson
  • Adventurer

• Boeun, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »
Awesome. Thanks for the help. I usually update my bankbook at the end of each month, when I have paid the bills.
Considering that he "forgot" to give me my bill, I might just have to "forget" to pay before I leave for Japan. If I get stuck with a fee, so be it. If they turn off my gas, I've gotten to the point of being able to keep my apartment very warm now without the heater.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:04:29 pm »
why do your bills go to your school though? surely they should come to your apartment mailbox?

anyway, if they do come to your school, I definitely would not pay the money to your school and expect the school to sort it out for you. get the bills from the school, pay it at the bank yourself, and keep the receipts. if the school insists on you paying the money for the bills to the school, you must insist on a receipt on the spot as soon as you hand over the cash.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:33:19 pm »
I'd like to hear some other opinions, because right now this seems like a damn joke to have to pay out so much before a vacation, because my lazy co-teacher "forgot" to give me my bill.

You will always have a gas bill every month.  Even if your co-teacher forgets it, you will still have a gas bill.  Bills never disappear. 

However, unpaid bills usually get added to the next month's bill.  So perhaps your December bill was added to your January bill?  Check on this!!  Nonetheless, January bills will be quite a bit higher than previous months. 

Advice for the future:  Ask that the bills be delivered to your home mailbox instead of to your co-teacher.  Keep your own records of what has been paid on which date.  If you pay cash, make sure you get a receipt.  If you pay using a bank card or transfer, it will show up on your bank statement.  This isn't just for Korea - this is for any country.  I've had cell phone bills and student loan payments get mixed up back in the States and I had to sort them out with customer service over the phone.  Not fun. :huh:

• Dadkinson
  • Adventurer

• Boeun, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:44:34 pm »

You will always have a gas bill every month.  Even if your co-teacher forgets it, you will still have a gas bill.  Bills never disappear. 

However, unpaid bills usually get added to the next month's bill.  So perhaps your December bill was added to your January bill?  Check on this!!  Nonetheless, January bills will be quite a bit higher than previous months. 

Advice for the future:  Ask that the bills be delivered to your home mailbox instead of to your co-teacher.  Keep your own records of what has been paid on which date.  If you pay cash, make sure you get a receipt.  If you pay using a bank card or transfer, it will show up on your bank statement.  This isn't just for Korea - this is for any country.  I've had cell phone bills and student loan payments get mixed up back in the States and I had to sort them out with customer service over the phone.  Not fun. :huh:

Yeah I get that I'll have a bill, it's just that I won't see the bill at all unless my co teacher remembers to give it to me. I'll be sure to ask him to have it delivered to my apartment from now on. Thanks  :azn: