Read 1608 times

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
What if your public school cancels the renewal contract?
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:38 pm »
Another hypothetical situation  ;D

Renewal contract signed by both parties and due to start March 1st.  What does my public school need to prove to back out on it? Performace appraisals, health check and police records all fine. And how much notice would they need to provide?
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Re: What if your public school cancels the renewal contract?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:56:29 am »
Unless they fire you, you are set. The amount of paperwork to fire you unless you fail to show up to work or break the law would deter them from doing it. You would have to be the most unless teacher (okay kids 1 semester of hangman every day) or do something to get them to really hate you and want to actively work together to have you out ASAP.

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:23:58 pm »
At this point I didn't think it would be easy to get rid of me hehe. After my latest disagreement with my most incompetent co-teacher ever, she blurted out that I would be unable to work at the school which made me roll my eyes at her for the umpteenth time. Maybe I should plant the seeds of her dismissal with the head teacher....
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

• phoebe100
  • Super Waygook

• November 08, 2011, 01:15:36 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:09:26 pm »
Even if it's signed by both parties I don't think the contract is "in effect" (I don't know if that's the right term) until the start date so I'm pretty sure they can rescind the offer before March 1st. I'm not 100% sure, just basing that on my experience with my local education office.

I recently signed a renewal contract with a public school but was offered another job that I decided to take instead. The superintendent from the main provincial office happened to be visiting my school so I explained the situation to her and offered her a letter giving them official notice but she didn't bother taking it saying "thanks for letting me know but the contract hasn't begun yet and you haven't been to immigration so no notice is required either way" . It may be a bit of a hassle for them in a few ways but I'm pretty sure until you have begun the new contract or gone through visa renewal paperwork at immigration I wouldn't assume it's set in stone.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:22:13 pm by phoebe100 »

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:38:50 am »
There are clauses in most contracts (public school I'm 100% sure of) that state the employee and employee must come to an decision in writing, 2 months before the end of the current contract, on whether the employee will be rehired the following year. If you signed that contract you could fight for your job based on that.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:28 pm »
 I used to have dreams about this . I would go home for the break between contracts and get notified about the change in situation via phone. That said I think people who spend lots of time in Korea and prone to feelings of paranoia and uncertainty. This mood is cultivated by the Culture.

That said I think it's highly unlikely.