Read 2521 times

Working at a daycare?
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:00:23 am »
So right now I have a choice of working at a daycare making 3.5 mil as a base salary and up to 4.5 if i work a couple more hours everyday (plus housing allowance).  However there are no benefits in this job, just the high salary.

OR

I can work at a public school with all the benefits and security, but half the pay.

Does anyone know anything about working at a daycare?  I LOVE little kids and I think I would enjoy working at a daycare, however, I don't know anything about daycares in Korea. Are they like daycares in America where we basically just play with the kids and keep an eye on them?  Any information would be great.  Also, which would be a more smarter move:  Daycare or public school?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:02:40 am by f4inkorea »

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Working at a daycare?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:29:50 am »
is it for Puruni? They have a decent reputation.

Higher salary with no insurance but you can just buy your own insurance....you're still making money.

I used to work at PS too but the benefits are just getting worse and worse....holidays getting less and less , camps more and more. When I first came it was a 1 week optional camp, then compulsory, turned into 2 weeks, then 3 week camps in the summer alone.

Starting salary at EPIK is 1.8. Woeful. Holidays might be less but you could always arrange for a sub.

As you have an F4, take advantage of it. I also have an F visa and making more coin.

• piyopayo
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:56:34 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:40:17 pm »
It must be Puruni! I was offered a job with them last year, but I got pregnant and told them. They immediately withdrew the offer and I totally understand why. I think the physical demand in keeping up with the young kids would be too great for me to handle at that time. Anyhow, I think it works out in the end. Yes, you don't get medical insurance but you can buy it yourself. You don't get pension but the amount that you are being paid works out to be a couple hundred dollars shy of what you would save working in a public school. It depends on whether that couple hundred dollars is a big deal to you or not. The  other thing is the vacation. I think you only get 2 weeks like any other hagwons. 

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:57:30 pm »
If your question is daycare or public, then add up the numbers.

I'm basing this off the assumption that you have no benefits like you said. And based on a wage of around 2.5 million at public (because that's what i know) but it'd be easier to be more exact if i knew your qualifications to match it to public school wage. And all calculations are prior to tax

3.5 million
-500 housing (the allowance public schools give)
-pension = 90 *2 (that's what i'm paying + schools contribution)
-severance  = 200 (2.5 million/12...although by no benefits can they really get around not paying severance? i think they will still be paying you this?)

So already we are at 2620.

I haven't counted medical as I forget how much I pay. I'd guess around 50, because it's definitely that, but i think mine is closer to 70.

So let's call it quits at 2600 (although if i've forgotten another thing let me know)

So on my wage of 2.5 million, the daycare works out around 100 000 won more (if severance is not paid).
But you don't get the extra holiday time.

So i think in terms of financial gain it's minimal difference. Again, the actual wage you'd be getting at a PS is important here, but i can't guess at that.

If the financial difference is not that much, then i think you've gotta think just about the type of work you prefer, since the two options are so different.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase