Read 1141 times

• dom_esl
  • Explorer

• January 21, 2014, 05:35:54 am
    • England
What do you think of Korea ESL list job posts?
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:49:58 am »
So I've spent far too long staring at job adverts.

The most common format for ESL job adverts particularly in Korea and particularly on the large job boards like Dave's is the posts are all giant lists of jobs with tiny variations between the jobs. (Not the case on here. Waygook has some excellent adverts.)

(Example: http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=59820, if the link is down head to Dave's and open pretty much any of the posts on the Korean job board).

My instinct is these are terrible, I think they're really impersonal and feel spammy. I'd never apply to one.  I'm running an ESL job site and I'm thinking about trying to structure my adverts to prevent this (and moderate them).

Am I off base on this? Are these adverts useful? Does anyone like having the large number of options and being able to pick out a job with exactly the qualities they want, even if the personalisation and personality is lacking.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: What do you think of Korea ESL list job posts?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:21:12 am »
The thing about advertising in Korea is that there's a lot of bait n switch. It's perfectly legal here.

Most of the jobs in the job lists no longer exist or never even existed in the first place, some may have even been copied from another recruiter's website/jobs list. The aim for the recruiters is to get as many applicants as possible in order to increase their chances of landing that commission fee and there are very few rules when it comes to advertising.

Your instinct is on the penny. The key here is to spam spam spam until someone bites.

• dom_esl
  • Explorer

• January 21, 2014, 05:35:54 am
    • England
Re: What do you think of Korea ESL list job posts?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:45 pm »
Bleh that's what I was worried about.

I was wistfully hoping that maybe it was bad incentives (when it costs $70 per advert you're going to make the most of it) and language problems, but I didn't realise the bait and switch was so bad.

Looks like careful moderation will have to be the way forward. Cheers waygo0k.