Read 2532 times

Transitioning to Public school
« on: January 19, 2014, 04:52:17 pm »
Since I am already in Korea and will be going to a public school, will they still give me the airfare allowance?  I need it to pay back my hakwon for my airfare ticket (they make us pay it back if we quit). Also, is it way too late to get a public school job since it is in March? Some recruiters have responded to me saying its way too late to get a public school job now. Anyone have experience in getting a public school job last minute?

• a87
  • Super Waygook

• July 21, 2013, 12:31:10 am
Re: Transitioning to Public school
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:40:34 pm »
I actually got my elementary school job in March, and started at the beginning of April. I was at a hagwon and completely hated the situation, so I had my recruiter search for any other jobs out there. What turned up was my current job. You never know what openings are out there. It's possible to start practically any month of the year.
Take that apologists!

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2010, 11:49:17 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:59:20 pm »
Well GEPIK have just cut funding for 50% of their positions, and EPIK/SMOE have announced a 30% reduction in their budget for this year.  This is the toughest public school job market we've probably ever had, so a last minute application in this market is probably going to fail. 

Having said that...look at the job ads here and at Dave's, and be willing to live somewhere in the sticks that nobody else wants to go near...and you just might be lucky.

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• May 04, 2012, 01:55:20 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:56:53 pm »
Well GEPIK have just cut funding for 50% of their positions, and EPIK/SMOE have announced a 30% reduction in their budget for this year.  This is the toughest public school job market we've probably ever had, so a last minute application in this market is probably going to fail. 

Having said that...look at the job ads here and at Dave's, and be willing to live somewhere in the sticks that nobody else wants to go near...and you just might be lucky.

Yes, listen to this advice. If you want to work in a public school, it probably will be in the sticks, but you never know. Keep looking and you might be surprised what happens after March. Some of the best jobs I've had came last minute.

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 10:05:55 pm »
Since I am already in Korea and will be going to a public school, will they still give me the airfare allowance?  I need it to pay back my hakwon for my airfare ticket (they make us pay it back if we quit).

I was in the same situation as you. I got a new job with GEPIK. They didn't give the airfare allowance.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:22:05 am »
Unfortunately, because you are already in the country, it is unlikely that you will receive airfare allowance if you get a public school job. I was in the country when I got my last public school job a little over a year ago, and they didn't give me an airfare allowance, although I did get the 300,000 won settlement allowance. It was a little something, at least.

• nimrand
  • Super Waygook

• April 07, 2013, 07:40:28 am
    • Lawrence, KS
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:22:41 am »
The contract will tell you the exact terms under which they will give you the airfare allowance.  But, generally, they will not give it to you if you are in the country when they hire you.

Look through the job postings for PS jobs.  March and August are the main intakes, but there are always jobs throughout the year.  It's a tough market, but if you're persistent and not too picky about where you work, you can probably make it work, but maybe not by March.  I'm not sure if leaving your current job early will make that more difficult, though.  They might assume that if you're leaving your current job, that you're not committed and likely to leave the PS position early as well.

Leaving my Hakwon= No hope for public school?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:25 am »
I just had an interview with a recruiter for public schools.  He informed me that since I am leaving my Hakwon before the contract ends, it will be near impossible for me to find a Public School job.  Is this true? Has anyone else experienced this?  Should I just not include my hakwon job on my resume? I am an F4 visa if this info means anything.

• nimrand
  • Super Waygook

• April 07, 2013, 07:40:28 am
    • Lawrence, KS
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:18:26 pm »
Translated: You're too much work for me, so I'm going to use my time of clients I can find jobs for more quickly.

As far as not telling them, you might get away with it, but I'm not sure how the timing will work out for you.  If you find a job, it will probably be one where they want you to start right away, but must Hagwon contracts require 30-60 days notice before you leave.  If you don't give notice, then you'll be violating your contract, and that could cause problems for you beyond just what terminating your contract early would.  Since you have a F4 visa you have a lot more flexibility (I don't believe you need a letter of release, for instance), but you still might run into problems.  I wish I could be more specific, but that's about as much as I know.

• a87
  • Super Waygook

• July 21, 2013, 12:31:10 am
Re: Leaving my Hakwon= No hope for public school?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »
I just had an interview with a recruiter for public schools.  He informed me that since I am leaving my Hakwon before the contract ends, it will be near impossible for me to find a Public School job.  Is this true? Has anyone else experienced this?  Should I just not include my hakwon job on my resume? I am an F4 visa if this info means anything.

If you have eyes and can read, check my post again. I was in a hagwon, wanted to leave early, and found a public school position. Leaving early won't hinder you. As long as you can get the letter of release, that is.
Take that apologists!

Re: Leaving my Hakwon= No hope for public school?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:17:43 am »

If you have eyes and can read, check my post again. I was in a hagwon, wanted to leave early, and found a public school position. Leaving early won't hinder you. As long as you can get the letter of release, that is.

They have an F4 visa so I don't think they'll need a LOR as the school doesn't sponsor them.
If your heart is set on a Public School job then hand in your notice and pay back your flight. The only issue (like others have mentioned) is location. You might only be able to get a rural school, at such short notice.