Read 1555 times

• jebckr
  • Adventurer

• July 04, 2013, 09:31:32 pm
    • Daejeon, S. Korea
Tell them what they want to hear.
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:56 pm »
What would you think is the better thing to do in this situation.

I have an F6 visa and work 3 days a week at a college.  I'm trying to pick up some part time work at a hagwon to avoid getting bored.  My problem is I am planning to stick to my college schedule, meaning I will be traveling in July and August during the break.

Well, not all potential employers like the idea of hiring someone for 4 months.  So, am I  better of to lie/just not say and take a job with the intention of asking for the summer off/quitting or should I be honest and explain my situation hoping someone can work around it.

Basically, should I deal with the scheduling problem on the front end or the back end?

Re: Tell them what they want to hear.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:41 am »
Have you looked into private tutoring or substitute teaching instead?  That would allow more flexible hours and vacation time.

I don't think any hagwon will take you if you are honest upfront, it will be more hassle than it's worth for them to hire you.  Not even a sketchy hagwon will want you knowing that you have another source of income and will be staying in the country regardless of how that job pans out (therefore able to fight back if they try to screw you).  Do hagwon's even do part time hours? 

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:14:28 am »
Have you looked into private tutoring or substitute teaching instead?  That would allow more flexible hours and vacation time.

I don't think any hagwon will take you if you are honest upfront, it will be more hassle than it's worth for them to hire you.  Not even a sketchy hagwon will want you knowing that you have another source of income and will be staying in the country regardless of how that job pans out (therefore able to fight back if they try to screw you).  Do hagwon's even do part time hours?

Many Hagwons do PartTime hours however finding one locally to you and one that matches your current schedule maybe tricky. As previously stated subbing or privates maybe a better way to go. Or use your free time to blog/vlog, there's no real money in it but it's at least something to do.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:21:06 am »
Go for it. I lied about my intended length of stay in job interviews/applications all the time. Particularly if you're dealing with a chain business that can replace you without considerable trouble anyway.