Read 2051 times

  • sincdav
  • Newgookin

    • 2

    • January 13, 2014, 10:10:28 am
    • suwon
D10 visa and 6 months
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:41:24 am »
Hello all.
So I have been reading a lot about this D10 visa and I was wondering if someone could clear things up for my current situation. I am finishing my contract March 1st and heading home to Canada. My plan is to return to Korea next July or August for another year of teaching, and apply for jobs while back in Canada My arc card does not expire until October 2nd(I extended my contract 6 months and it was renewed for a year). So, is the D10 visa a possibility if I will be out of Korea for more than 90 days? Or will I have to get my paperwork done again?
Thank you all for the help.

  • skippy
  • Expert Waygook

    • 873

    • January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
Re: D10 visa and 6 months
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:28:07 pm »
1)  There is a regulation for all people including D-10. If a person leaves Korea for more then 90 days while on a visa that a new CRC (may) be required.   You will likely not need to submit a new degree.

2)  If you are going hagwon to hagwon via visa transfer then paperwork is easy.  That is if under 90 days.  Problem comes when the next employer wants paperwork.  For example EPIK and public school programs can be very picky on paperwork.  No paperwork, no job.

3) One criteria for a D-10 is to submit a job search plan.   If the plan shows that are are going to be gone for 5 to 6 months of a 6 month visa you are going to be question.   Expect to be refused.  True you could fib but if caught out it could back fire.

4)  In general D-10s are given for 6 months but they can be given for shorter time.  There is a good chance you will get 6 months, but the immigration official granting it could very likely surprise you and give 3 months.

5) Be careful with the extending the contract for 6 months and then leaving.   I am guessing you are having the previous employer put in on a "hold" for the time.   That being said what is to assure that your employer will not cancel the visa while you are away.   They might have to because of immigration regulations or heck even spite.  So you could find yourself coming back with no visa.  Even possibly facing a fine for not informing of your change of status.

6)  You might very likely screw yourself with the timing if you have extended the visa.   So you have a work (E2) visa till October.   Yet will be looking for jobs in July/August.  Since you are on a work visa already you will not be able to transfer during that time since you are already sponsored.   So unless you have a Letter of Release you could find transferring or getting another visa can not be done till present visa expires in October.  Remember an employer is not obligated to give an LOR.  That is for even if the holding the visa or if it does get canceled.

7)  Paperwork.   Getting paperwork in Canada is much easier then from Korea.   Given 5 or 6 months there would be ample time to get new paperwork.   True you will have to do a visa trip.

8 )  Coming back and plane ticket.   Who is paying for the ticket back from Canada?   Are you hoping to find a job while in Canada and the employer to front the ticket?  You could find yourself waiting and waiting for a job while people who are already in Korea to snap the jobs up.   Add in the concern like getting a ticket and airlines being confused on your visa status.

9)  Your Korean address.   Korean Immigration is getting pickier lately with addresses.   So for the time you are gone where are to be registered as living?   You could use a friend's address.  Still there is the minor chance of things getting mucked up with immigration.

So my advice is well cancel present visa and get a D-10 in Korea.  Fudge on the details.  Hope you will get away with it.   While back home get a new CRC.  Hopefully you get back to Korea before the D-10 expires.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:03:55 pm by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.