Read 1884 times

• cherrytree
  • Explorer

• January 10, 2014, 11:00:25 pm
    • seoul, korea
F4 Visa wanting to quit first hagwon job asap but scared
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:10:46 am »
I am not sure what is the truth because my boss lies to me constantly so i figured this forum would be able to offer good advice.

i've been working at this hagwon for less than three months now and i have been in arguments with the owner twice. the first time he verbally abused me and shouted several nasty curse words in korean. the second time, he started screaming at me in front of parents and students for doing a "mediocre" job. he is an unstable person.

also he has me working SATURDAYS even though it is not in my contract to do so.

the last straw is when one unstable student hit me several times in the face and he laughed when he found out. he thought it was humorous and denied my request to stop teaching this student.

i am not one to end things badly with bosses but i don't think i can handle the stress anymore. should i do a "runner"? i am the type of person who usually gives a month notice but this owner has already had issues with other teachers. another teacher is sueing him at this moment and he has been sued several times.

i know that if i give him advance notice - he will tell me i owe him money for the recruiter fee and the real estate $ (he paid for the real estate commission for finding an apartment for me which is under MY name not his name). however, i am pretty sure he did not pay the recruiter.

any advice?? i am afraid that he will sue me for being in breach of contract... is this a strong likelihood? i signed a one year contract with my one-room so i cannot leave the country. also i have an f4 visa. thoughts? will i have trouble finding a six or nine month contract? also i am not sure if this is relevant but the hagwon's financial situation is not so good...

-losing sleep over this :(

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: F4 Visa wanting to quit first hagwon job asap but scared
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:58:04 am »
As an employee you have the right to quit any time you want.

Per your contract you might be liable for flight costs or a recruiter fee. But if it's not in your contract it's not an issue.
Read your contract.

If you really want to get back at him, file a complaint with the police over the student. That will get his attention.

You're on an F4, you can't do a runner.
Are you planning on leaving Korea forever, or do you just want to work at another school?

If you just want to leave, leave, if you want to work at another school, check your contract, make sure you're not on the hook for those fees, and then you'll have to take it from there.
If you are on the hook for those fees, I'd file a complaint against the student, it will make such a mess that he'd probably agree to let you go without paying the fees if you dropped it.

• cherrytree
  • Explorer

• seoul, korea
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:21:31 am »
i want to work at another school for six-nine months or so. in my contract it states i should be working monday to friday. but i am working saturday... and i still have to do desk warming for hours i did not sign up for.

thank you for the advice.

• cherrytree
  • Explorer

• seoul, korea
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:31:44 am »
this student ran up to me and began to hit my face without any warning. it happened so suddenly i couldn't do anything about it. i did not "accept" assault. also mind you this student is larger than i am. and it was completely unexpected.

and what purpose would i have to fake seeking advice on a forum?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:56:34 am by sheila »