Read 1911 times

School vs. School... what should I do?
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:43:42 pm »
Dear Waygook-ers, I am in the pleasant position of having 2 potential jobs to choose between, and would like to get your opinions!

Choice 1: A public school in Seoul (applied through EPIK and got accepted), but no further details available about location, age level (it would probably be elementary, right?), coworkers, or anything else. I know nothing about the school except that it's public and in Seoul.

Choice 2:  Another public school near to Seoul (about an hour or so out by subway), privately run, religious (I am not religious), and with very high-level high-school aged students, and seems to be a pleasant if somewhat demanding/strict place to work with pretty good security ESL funding-wise (no fears of the position getting cut next year), and so far it seems like my potential coworkers/teachers are a bit disorganized but very friendly

To be honest, I would love to live in Seoul, since I've been living in the country side for the past, but I don't want to make a stupid decision based just on location. All my work experience has been at a low-level high school so far.
"Don't Panic"

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: School vs. School... what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:55 pm »
go with public.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:26 pm »
I feel like if you are not religious, you would have a rough time at the second school. Some teachers at these schools are required to go to church services/bible studies.

If you can tolerate that as a non religious person, then consider it. If not, I'd go with the first position.

• Freesia
  • Veteran

• July 31, 2013, 11:29:19 am
    • Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu / Giheung-gu, Yongin
    more
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »
I feel like if you are not religious, you would have a rough time at the second school. Some teachers at these schools are required to go to church services/bible studies.

If you can tolerate that as a non religious person, then consider it. If not, I'd go with the first position.

You should consider what the religious obligations and expected behaviors are..

Even if you were not obligated to attend mass or services, you could be expected to have a certain form of faith or to behave according to their religious norms and practices.

And, of course, the level of (social) enforcement depends on the sector and tradition.

I would find out as much as I can about the first school.
Considering that you were specifically unsatisfied with the low academic level of your former school, do consider the location and academic conditions..

Privately-run public schools generally do have a higher budget, but not all of them have an academic level higher than that of regular public schools--it really depends on the school and location. (Some technical high schools have an academic level much higher than that of many public schools)
“Without claiming to be exhaustive, I maintain that every philosophy reproduces within itself, in one way or another, the conflict in which it finds itself compromised and caught up in the outside world.”

― Louis Althusser, Philosophy of the Encounter: Later Writings, 1978-1987

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:43:59 pm »
Thanks for your comments- actually at the interview, the religious school told me that they were OK with me being non-Christian but that I would have to attend weekly chapel with the students, and I should behave according to Christian morals.
"Don't Panic"

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:04:54 am »
I'm not entirely sure I'd believe them about accepting you as you are. It may cause problems with parents who are paying money to have their children taught by Christians in a Christian setting. Or you could possibly find yourself being the "let's save a foreigner's soul" project that seems to be catnip for the go-getting religious types.

Being a foreign teacher can tend to make you a mini-celebrity at your school. Can you picture being such a focus at a religious school and being a non-believer? The scandal! The gossip! The non-ending small talk at lunch about your beliefs and how you're wrong to have them.

Ha ha. Okay, so that's kinda worst-case-scenario stuff. Just food for thought. If you're okay with it and they're genuinely okay with it, that's great. Just keep it in mind. I'm not saying it's definitely that way. But...well, experience is a good guide, and I've been in those situations (though not exactly the same).

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:38:14 am »
idk kiddo, I worked at a christian high school. their idea of what a christian was, was hilarious. they thought jesus was born on christmas day, so I wasnt too worried about religious accuracy.

"keeping christian morals" prolly means nothing you are not already doing, or in other words, the same you'd do at other schools. Don't have a bunch of different guys walking in and out of your apt for people to see, and dont be found passed out drunk on the side of the road, and you'll be fine.

to me this choice is a no brainer. take the second option. good school, with job security, high achieving, high school, seriously yo, you know what to do.

go with public.

soooo both?....mkay. a privately owned public school is still run like a public school, its not the same as a hagwon. they are the shiz, and always the way to go.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:12:54 pm »
Second school which is religious based school may require you to attend some of religious activities thrown after school, weekend or holiday. They wouldn't require you to participate but i for sure know that eventually they will drag you deep into their religious practice and convince you to be part of it.

First looks cleaner.