Read 2253 times

• Summer
  • Veteran

• April 24, 2011, 11:53:13 am
delete please
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »
delete please
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:24:21 pm by Summer »
Did you know that eco-friendly can be budget-friendly?

Use my gift code NOQ158 to get $10 off $40 or more; or take $5 orders totaling less than $40.

Choose from 35,000+ healthy and "green" products (grocery items, beauty and cosmetics, and more). Visit iHerb.com today!

Re: Contacting Recruiters Again
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:34 pm »
It's worth a shot. The worst that can happen is that they don't reply. Again.

I know what you're going through, though. I've contacted many recruiters. Most are quite friendly. Then they give me a call, take a look at my resume and disappear from the face of the earth. It's like a friggin' dating site or something.

Their most common method seems to be to contact as many job-seekers as possible, weed out all but those who can be lassoed into whatever jobs are available at the moment, and toss the rest aside as too much trouble. Honestly, they seem to overestimate the number of people interested in finding a teaching position in Korea.

But then, most of them only seem to want to wrangle the newest, least experienced newbies and funnel them directly to hagwons with bad reputations.

</rant>

Okay, so that's not entirely accurate. But it does feel that way. Most recruiters I've contacted have been super-fast to hook me up with an interview with just one place, then I guess the hagwon says "Meh, what else you got?" and I'm tainted goods.

The most outrageous recruiter so far told me to take a split-shift (6-8am/4-11pm, M-F), accept 2 million a month and smile while I did it. He also said they might bump me up to 2.1 million if I agreed to decline a return-flight ticket. Why? Because with three years' experience in public school I'm "very lazy" and am more trouble than a noob fresh off the boat. Ha. Lame.

Another woman called me after I sent an inquiry email. She said "Can you send me your photo?" I said "My resume, photo and anything else?" She said "No, just your photo right now."

I'm sure there are some nice recruiters -- the ones that work exclusively with EPIK are usually on the level -- but hagwon recruiters... Good grief.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:27:13 pm by oatmealkooky »

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:25 pm »
I'm going to be less...verbose than Oatmealkooky.

Summer, compared to you, I am a just above rookie.  But I am going to give you the best single piece I was given when I was trying to come to the ROK.

Background
     It took me over eight months to get here, even though jobs were plentiful.  This was before the current job situation that many of us are facing. I couldn't get a recruiter to look my way, even though my qualifications were solid and recommendations were stellar.  Reason I was told, directly?  Skin color.  Literally told that no one would hire me because I wasn't fair skinned and blonde.  It was crushing, to say the least.  So I went on thinking that coming here was going to be a "could have been".

Advice and Hiring
     At my lowest point, I ran across something that laid things out clearly.  I'm going to give them to you, because it got me here.  And since you are in-country, it is even more relevant to you.

• Recruiters are a business.
  • You are a paycheck to most of them.
  • If they can't flip you right away, they are not interested.  They are not thinking long game or returns on investment (ROI).
  • Once they decide you are not for them, they will forget all about you. <---THIS.
  • Just like all businesses, some prosper and many fail.  Forget the ones in the past. Find one, in business, or one from a referral (personal advice).
  • Putting all your eggs in one basket is not good business for you.  Contact as many as you can, if that is your desire.

BUT THE BEST ADVICE I can personally give you is this:
  • Find a friend who can give you a referral.

I don't know your personal deal.  But you have to know someone, either in person or Internet, who had a happy recent experience, even if it is not in your particular area.  Just put it out there. If you are in the southern parts, I can give you mine.  My buddy referred three of his in-country friends who all got jobs through his.  And his works countrywide.  Anyway, I wish you good fortune.
You are never guaranteed happiness, only the right to pursue it.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get going!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:03 am »
Many of the teachers here like me but my principal and VP (who both love me) are leaving next month. I was considering getting their recommendation letters but I'm worried about asking them since I have 6~7 months* left on my contract. I'm worried that they think I'm planning on leaving. I'll probably contact them when my contract is really over.

I would really, really, really strongly advise that you get their references while they are still at your school!
You never know what will happen or where they will be in the future. Just make it clear that you are not leaving school, but would like personal/professional letters of recommendations from them before they leave the school.

Honestly, this WILL save you TONS of stress and hassle down the line.
I speak from personal experience.  :sad:

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »
Ah, okay... They can't really speak or write in English at all, would Korean be okay? I plan on staying here long term (getting married here, etc.) so do I need English versions?

Ugh, the teacher who handles me have vacation until February... I might have to wait since it'll be hard to communicate with them.

I think having a recommendation is English would be a good idea... but why not get both?

What I've done in the past is to just write a letter of recommendation myself, and then have them read and sign it. It saves them the hassle of having to write stuff in English, and you're guaranteed not to have any surprises (there are differences in recommendation letter cultures between East and West. Your Korean employer's frank honesty might not serve u well in the States or wherever).

Obviously, it wouldn't be a great idea to do the same for the Korean letter. :wink:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:07:32 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:14 pm »
     If you can get a recommendation letter, you are ahead of the curve. That is excellent advice kyndo.

Summer, you are not too early to start thinking about your next job, if you have to go.  It has been an ongoing topic about cuts to EPIK/SMOE/Provices on this site. If you have to move out of MOE or go to a different school, you may have to redo your documents and have them in hand, just in case. That takes time. You should, rightfully, start working on that.   A recruiter or school may not want to deal with you if you don't have all of that in order. Be very forward thinking. You don't want to get caught out. 

If you think you may need a recruiter, search/ask the site.  My recruiter doesn't work in you area, but I am sure someone here can give you a referral.
You are never guaranteed happiness, only the right to pursue it.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get going!