« on: January 06, 2014, 05:28:06 pm »
  --
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:08:04 pm by dtn91 »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Re: Might have to switch schools mid contract (IMOE)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 05:40:31 am »
Happened to me so don't worry. At least they told your school. I got a call from SMOE to tell me that I have to move but mustn't tell my school as they will later. The day I left, I went to say goodbye to my Principal and he was gobsmacked, they never told him.

Stupidly enough they moved me to a school down the road, also an Elementary School and my school lost their NET (me). I don't understand funding here, I am in the same district just a different school. If they had moved me a different district I could understand it but they didn't.

Anyway, hope you get a good school.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:20:49 am »
I was in a similar situation; my school asked me to stay, I signed my contract, had my renewal medical, then two days before Christmas my CT rang the office of education on an unrelated matter and was told that there will be no funding for a foreign teacher next year. Cue loss of renewal vacation and frantic planning of what to do in March. Pretty f-ing annoying just before Christmas.

I would nag your CT to get a confirmation from the office of education one way or the other, they could stall on you and then cut your job. Better to know now and have time to prepare what to do next than be forced into a situation you don't want.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:29 am »
yes, they can swap you out to a new school. this is because your contract is with the MOE, not the school.

yes, they can make you work at more than one school. i can't remember the exact wording, but the contract says something like: "The employer can designate multiple locations for the employee to work at."

but no, they can't just cancel your contract. if they wanted to get rid of you they would have to fire you, and that would take 3 official written warnings and then they would have to give you 30 days notice after that. if they trumped up the warnings you could always take them to the labour board.

• BearNana
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2013, 10:33:57 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:11:29 pm »
I work under IMOE too. My contract finishes in February, as does many of my friends. We are still waiting to hear if we can renew or not. I was told mid December by Sarah herself. She said next years budget was still being worked out. And then I was told we would know by last week. Still nothing. My supervisor is in the dark too, as is another Korean English teacher at my school (she is a contract worker, just like us). It seems like Incheon are cutting funding pretty hard. My supervisor told me sometime last month that she got an email saying so. So she is a little worried for me.

I can't understand this, surely IMOE have already hired new starts for their Feb intake...I want to stay in Korea, so this is stressing me out pretty hard. I want to stay at my school, and my school are keen for me to stay, but if I can move through the system to another school that wouldn't be so bad. It's the not knowing that's stressing me out.  :undecided:

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:02:02 pm »
I can't understand this, surely IMOE have already hired new starts for their Feb intake...

According to the EPIK coordinators on the Spring 2014 facebook group, EPIK is not hiring for Incheon this term. But I don't know whether this means Incheon is not hiring new teachers, or whether they're just doing it direct now.