Read 1309 times

• damof
  • Super Waygook

• April 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm
    • Yongin
How important is the 'no eating before health-check' rule?
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:46:25 pm »
Today I went to the hospital to arrange an appointment for the contract re-signing health-check, but they wanted to do the test there and then. I tried to explain that I had eaten that day, but they didn't seem too bothered by this.

Is this a big deal? I certainly haven't consumed anything I should be worried about, but is there much of a chance of the shit that's in my system showing up as the shit they test for?

Why are we not suppose to eat before the test anyway?

• climber
  • Super Waygook

• January 02, 2011, 06:52:36 pm
    • Ilsan
Re: How important is the 'no eating before health-check' rule?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:31:34 pm »
In the four years I have been here, I have never been told not to eat before the health check.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:40:23 pm »
I worried about it and didn't eat or drink for 12 hours (as instructed by my recruiter)--only to find out from other teachers that they ate and had absolutely no problems. 

I'm guessing it's a face-saving thing, honestly.  The same way you're told by recruiters to take NO meds of any sort in the two weeks prior to leaving the country.  I continued to take my prescription as usual and wasn't even asked to write down what I was taking on the medical form, so I really wouldn't worry about it.  They are looking for drugs and HIV--that appears to be it.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »
Today I went to the hospital to arrange an appointment for the contract re-signing health-check, but they wanted to do the test there and then. I tried to explain that I had eaten that day, but they didn't seem too bothered by this.

Is this a big deal? I certainly haven't consumed anything I should be worried about, but is there much of a chance of the shit that's in my system showing up as the shit they test for?

Why are we not suppose to eat before the test anyway?

Because it'll skew the test results. If you had a sugary or fatty breakfast, for example, your blood sugar levels or cholesterol will be higher than normal. Or if drank heavily the night before, the test will show elevated levels of the liver-enzyme that breaks down alcohol (GGT).
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html