Read 5342 times

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
Dokdo again!
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:24:06 pm »
20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
Re: Dokdo again!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:53:03 am »
A new year in which foreigners will continue to not care about a couple rocks in the ocean.  ;D

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 12:07:30 pm »
My co-teacher planned a day about Dokdo for winter camp for my grade 5s. I don't know what to expect. I also hope nobody asks my opinion about it.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:31:11 pm »
I love how Japan and China send out battleships and declare new airspaces when disputing territory. but Korea, naw, just upload an online video.

dokdo is to korea what "which english is better" is to England. the only ones who care are those from the one claiming it. seriously not a soul in Japan cares and most dont even know about those rocks.

I also hope nobody asks my opinion about it.

Your name kind of gives it away.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:04:38 am »
I find it funny when the news reports show the nnext day's weather forecast and they always give the temperature for Dokdo.  2 people are stationed tin the middle of the sea (of Japan) with nothing to do and nowhere to go (it's a jagged rock and nothing else), yet the networks feel that instead oof looking out of the window, the 2 folks on Dokdo will be better informmed by broadcasting to the nation that the weather on Dokdo tomorrow will be.......Cold!

• weRborg
  • Super Waygook

• September 20, 2012, 05:15:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 11:31:05 am »
I find it funny when the news reports show the nnext day's weather forecast and they always give the temperature for Dokdo.  2 people are stationed tin the middle of the sea (of Japan) with nothing to do and nowhere to go (it's a jagged rock and nothing else), yet the networks feel that instead oof looking out of the window, the 2 folks on Dokdo will be better informmed by broadcasting to the nation that the weather on Dokdo tomorrow will be.......Cold!

It's not about informing the two people that live there about the weather. It's beating it into the rest of the national psyche that Dokdo belongs to Korea, therefore, all Koreans should know what's going on there - even the weather.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

• michaels
  • Adventurer

• March 20, 2013, 12:56:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:22:35 pm »
dokdo is to korea what "which english is better" is to England. the only ones who care are those from the one claiming it. seriously not a soul in Japan cares and most dont even know about those rocks.

Well I wouldn't say *no one* in Japan cares...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/28/us-japan-textbooks-islands-idUSBREA0R08620140128

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:27:18 pm »

Here's my two cents and as a gyopo I may be a little biased.  The Japanese government does care ALOT about Dokdo and is just as relentless as Korea if not more in trying to claim it as their own.  Japan is just bigger and wants to look too important to worry about the annoying little guy next door.  So while the majority are being too important to care, the government faction assigned to the Dokdo affairs, who are staunch followers of Hitler's motto “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed”, continue to wail nonstop until the world begins to eventually believe them.  And apparently it's working.  But the truth is the Island has an established Korean police force on patrol duty, so to me it seems like Nuff Said.  Also, I understand you guys go on trips and have a great time in Japan compared to how you fare here, but just because the Japanese are better at licking the white man's testicular area does not grant it the right to go around claiming other people's land, kinda like that one Disney cartoon where the evil Siamese cats act all innocent and obedient when Master comes.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 07:38:07 am »
seriously not a soul in Japan cares and most dont even know about those rocks.
That's obviously nonsense.  If no one in Japan cared, there would be no dispute.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:49:59 am »

Here's my two cents and as a gyopo I may be a little biased.  The Japanese government does care ALOT about Dokdo and is just as relentless as Korea if not more in trying to claim it as their own.  Japan is just bigger and wants to look too important to worry about the annoying little guy next door.  So while the majority are being too important to care, the government faction assigned to the Dokdo affairs, who are staunch followers of Hitler's motto “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed”, continue to wail nonstop until the world begins to eventually believe them.  And apparently it's working.  But the truth is the Island has an established Korean police force on patrol duty, so to me it seems like Nuff Said.  Also, I understand you guys go on trips and have a great time in Japan compared to how you fare here, but just because the Japanese are better at licking the white man's testicular area does not grant it the right to go around claiming other people's land, kinda like that one Disney cartoon where the evil Siamese cats act all innocent and obedient when Master comes.

There's a lot of stuff in this that one could take issue with.

Going on vacation for a few weeks or days is usually a nice change from the same-old, same-old you normally go through. Simple, unremarkable things are different and more exciting that they would be after a year.

In terms of licking the testicular area, it's just a cultural thing. Will a sizable percentage of Japanese women fellate you when you are on your way home, to the grocery store, etc.? Yes, yes they will. While at first you might see this as something great, it becomes just another in a innumerably large series of customs which you must abide by in Japanese society. 

Luckily, such nonsense is absent in Korea.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• Boquoi
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2013, 09:48:23 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:44:17 am »

It's not about informing the two people that live there about the weather. It's beating it into the rest of the national psyche that Dokdo belongs to Korea, therefore, all Koreans should know what's going on there - even the weather.

I just noticed this on TV this morning. Watching Korean cartoons on EBS and they show the weather forecast for different cities. It is on a slideshow loop so I am waiting for my city to show by again when I think I read dokdu in Korean. Now my Korean is not the best so I wondered if there was somewhere with a similar name to dokdu that might actually need a weather forecast or if it is just propaganda.

• whanous
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2012, 09:10:55 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:18 am »
So while the majority are being too important to care, the government faction assigned to the Dokdo affairs, who are staunch followers of Hitler's motto “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed”, continue to wail nonstop until the world begins to eventually believe them.

kinda like that one Disney cartoon where the evil Siamese cats act all innocent and obedient when Master comes.
Only a little biased?
You compared their strategies to Hitler's and then compared the people to "evil Siamese cats."
Korea is just as guilty of wailing "nonstop till the world believes them". They are continually trying to embarrass Japan on a global scale. There are many in Korea that won't be happy until they think that the whole world hates Japan. They have propaganda campaigns aimed at foreigners that create evil caricatures of the Japanese, like you just did.

Right, only a little biased.

• MartinBrez
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2013, 12:52:18 pm
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 09:23:08 am »
If I was the Japanese, I would just say

"Okay, have your little rocks, but just be QUIET. If you don't, then we will claim them again as ours!"

Either way; Koreans will still be making a lot of noise about them!

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 10:29:17 am »
So while the majority are being too important to care, the government faction assigned to the Dokdo affairs, who are staunch followers of Hitler's motto “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed”, continue to wail nonstop until the world begins to eventually believe them.

kinda like that one Disney cartoon where the evil Siamese cats act all innocent and obedient when Master comes.
Only a little biased?
You compared their strategies to Hitler's and then compared the people to "evil Siamese cats."
Korea is just as guilty of wailing "nonstop till the world believes them". They are continually trying to embarrass Japan on a global scale. There are many in Korea that won't be happy until they think that the whole world hates Japan. They have propaganda campaigns aimed at foreigners that create evil caricatures of the Japanese, like you just did.

Right, only a little biased.

Yeah, Korea can be a dick sometimes.  But the comment I quoted makes Korea look like a little butthole country while Japan is some innocent cool guy who doesn't care about little things as Dokdo.  And since that is not the case, I just had to vent. 

and MartinBrez, control of those "little rocks" gives a nation control over hundreds of square miles of fishing turf.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:38:22 am »
Wonder what will happen when China claims those rocks. I would love to see the reaction from the Koreans and Japanese then ;D. Anyhow, Japan does it the right way. They don't make a big fuss out of it. They play the patient role and let Korea bluster over it. They subtly do it and, yes, the culture will continue to print textbooks stating that it is a Japanese territory. But to say that Korea doesn't do the same is completely wrong. Nobody whitewashes history like Korea. They would like you to believe that they built up their country and economy without any external help. If not for foreigners, there would be no South Korea. I don't understand how Korea gets a free pass on this, but Japan gets demonized. They are both wrong in their approach.

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 01:08:10 pm »
"It was originally released in October, but was withdrawn because it was found to have used footage from a Japanese TV program without permission."

Hhahahahahahhahaha.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »
had a korean friend tell me that they wished korea didn't destroy all the colonial japanese buildings/shrines because they were the only buildings that look good

i once told a teenage student how Lotte group was a japanese company, blew their mind.  When i showed them proof they plugged their ears and made noise so they couldn't hear me

if you trace the development of every product in this country, it will start in japan most of the time

I agree with the previous poster who said that nobody white washes history like koreans

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 02:05:08 pm »
had a korean friend tell me that they wished korea didn't destroy all the colonial japanese buildings/shrines because they were the only buildings that look good

i once told a teenage student how Lotte group was a japanese company, blew their mind.  When i showed them proof they plugged their ears and made noise so they couldn't hear me

if you trace the development of every product in this country, it will start in japan most of the time

I agree with the previous poster who said that nobody white washes history like koreans

I have always found the idea of destroying history(even the bad parts) to be mind numbingly stupid.  Hadrians wall in the UK signifies the colonial legacy of the Roman Empire. English castles in Wales signify the oppression of the Welsh people under English rule. To remove such historical artefacts might be seen as a sign of pointing the middle finger to the colonial country, but it's not really as the former colonial power probably doesn't care.

It would have been a lot more logical to keep the buildings and keep the shrines, but turn them into memorials to the victims of Japanese colonialism. now THAT would have been a huge middle finger to the former colonial power. Reclaim a shinto shrine, get rid of the religious idols and turn it into a memorial shrine for those who fought against Japan, or comfort women, or something. That would have really got the hackles up of the Japanese ultranationalists.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 02:56:24 pm »
Nobody whitewashes history like Korea.
Really?

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:20 am »