Read 2663 times

Beaches
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:42:52 am »
Morning all

I'm currently living in Gimhae and with this cold weather I'm dreaming of summer days on the beach. Unfortunately the most popular one near me is Haeundae in Busan which is nightmarishly busy in the Summer. Could anyone recommend somewhere that's a little quieter, less developed and preferably that can be reached by public transport down in the South east here?

Thanks  :D

• elzoog
  • Expert Waygook

• July 15, 2009, 08:22:23 am
    • South Korea
Re: Beaches
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:50:58 am »
There are TONS of beaches like this. 

Near where you live?  The best beach I can think of is in Wando, which is a bit far from you I think.  Well worth it if you want to go there for the weekend though.

There are also various beaches scattered throughout the south coast.   If you want a good beach though, Wando would be a good bet (not as crowded or busy as Haeundae).

If you are willing to travel a bit, I recommend the east coast around Gangneng and Sokcho.  Gyeongju (which is just north of Ulsan) also has a few okay beaches.   The Gangneng beach is interesting in the sense that it is next to the Thomas Edison museum.

If you want more secluded, there are various beaches around the south and east coasts.  Another option would be some of the various islands off the south coast.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:16 am »
Songdo Beach just up the road a ways towards Ulsan is a great beach. Very similar to Haeundae but just without the people. The train actually stops right out in front of the beach and there are your various cafes and shops near the beach.

Ilsan Beach in Ulsan is getting a lot better these days and the area around has improved 100% in the last 2 years alone. There is a great park next to the beach that is great to cool off and go for a walk along the rocks.

Gwangali is haeundae's little brother and at times can be as busy as haeundae but I found it to be almost better at times. Tons of great cafes around it and a great view of the bridge.

• elzoog
  • Expert Waygook

• July 15, 2009, 08:22:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:30:44 pm »
Songdo Beach just up the road a ways towards Ulsan is a great beach. Very similar to Haeundae but just without the people. The train actually stops right out in front of the beach and there are your various cafes and shops near the beach.

Ilsan Beach in Ulsan is getting a lot better these days and the area around has improved 100% in the last 2 years alone. There is a great park next to the beach that is great to cool off and go for a walk along the rocks.

I'm glad to hear that Ilsan beach is getting better.   Last time I was there I found it to be in the "not worth going out of your way for" category.   Much better is the Daewangam park next to the beach.

The beach I mentioned in Gangneng (Gyeong-po Beach) is better than Songdo beach (it's one of the best beaches in Korea in my opinion).  However, it's famous enough that on a great day during the summer it can get a bit crowded.   If it is crowded, I recommend going north to Sokcho Beach.    Web sites for these are:

http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264130
http://eng.gangneung.go.kr/eng/main/view.php?go=tour2

If you are willing to go WAY out of your way.  I recommend going to the Jodo islands
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=1162224

The beach I mentioned in Wando is called Myeongsashimni Beach

http://taraheeg.blogspot.com/2009/09/myeongsashimni-beach-or-wando-beach.html

As I said, there are TONS of beaches around Korea.   I don't think Ilsan, even if they cleaned it up a lot, can hold a candle to Myeongsashimni beach or Gyeong-po beach.

The Jodo island beach would have the advantage that there would be a good chance you would have much of the beach to yourself as not many people go there.