Read 1548 times

• 5mori
  • Adventurer

• May 25, 2012, 09:21:38 am
    • Gunpo
App for communicating in (traditional) Chinese characters?
« on: December 24, 2013, 10:34:30 pm »
I've been studying Hanja for the last few years and would like to put it to use during a forthcoming trip to Taiwan - especially since I can't speak a lick of Chinese.  Is there any app that, say, Koreans who know Hanja can use when they want to communicate through writing?  On my iPod, I can write out Chinese characters, and then that app tries to guess which one I'm writing and I can string these together, but it's too time consuming.  People would grow old waiting for me!

What I have in mind is something like this.  Say I want to make an extremely rudimentary sentence like ' have a reservation'.  First I would type 유, then the app would give me the Hanja that match like 有, 由 etc. and I would select the proper one to go into the sentence, then I would type 예약 and it would give me the Hanja for that, etc.   

Surely something like this must exist, but the few Koreans I've asked don't seem to think it does.  Any suggestions?

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: App for communicating in (traditional) Chinese characters?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 10:36:37 am »
For the most part it's a waste of time to be texting hanja like that.

Chinese speakers use a pinyin input system where they can type the roman letter spelling of the character and select the character.

For the most part, hanja and chinese doesn't exactly work together.
In china they use simplified characters and the most you can really get out of it would be simple nouns. Taiwan uses traditional, but also some japanese simplifications and apparently their own. You might recognize stuff on official signs, but you might have issues with hand written signs and things like that.

Yes while you're there you may recognize some characters and what they mean, but don't think that because you know some hanja you'd have much success actually communicating in Chinese. You'd be just as far ahead grabbing google translate and translating simple nouns in chinese.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:57:22 am »
I've been studying Hanja for the last few years and would like to put it to use during a forthcoming trip to Taiwan - especially since I can't speak a lick of Chinese.  Is there any app that, say, Koreans who know Hanja can use when they want to communicate through writing?  On my iPod, I can write out Chinese characters, and then that app tries to guess which one I'm writing and I can string these together, but it's too time consuming.  People would grow old waiting for me!

What I have in mind is something like this.  Say I want to make an extremely rudimentary sentence like ' have a reservation'.  First I would type 유, then the app would give me the Hanja that match like 有, 由 etc. and I would select the proper one to go into the sentence, then I would type 예약 and it would give me the Hanja for that, etc.   

Surely something like this must exist, but the few Koreans I've asked don't seem to think it does.  Any suggestions?

Isn't there an "add keyboard" option for the Ipod? Maybe i'm mistaken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSdmUGZ-BG0

• 5mori
  • Adventurer

• May 25, 2012, 09:21:38 am
    • Gunpo
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:36:47 pm »
Yes while you're there you may recognize some characters and what they mean, but don't think that because you know some hanja you'd have much success actually communicating in Chinese.

I am familiar with the issues that you brought up in your post - which may explain in part why I used the expression "extremely rudimentary" in my OP.   :smiley: Thank you for the information.  I have been to Taiwan before, and have a fairly good idea what to expect.  I've had particular experiences that convince me that this kind of app would be very helpful in limited situations, but I didn't detail this in my OP, because I was just trying figure out whether such an app exists, not justify why I think I could benefit from it.  Regarding the percentage of Hanja used in Taiwan that differ from "traditional" ones due to Japanese changes or local Taiwanese ones, I'm curious what that might be like.  Less than 5% perhaps?

@TheEngergizer: Thanks, yes, I have added keyboards before.  The problem is that the Hangeul and Chinese ones are not in anyway linked to each other.  The one you shows does conversion from Roman to Chinese, but I don't know of any conversion from Hangeul to Hanja.  When I'm emailing and need to write a few words in Hanja, I tend to use naver's Hangeul-Hanja dictionary, though cut-n-pasting in this way becomes tedious.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:31:24 am »
For the most part it's a waste of time to be texting hanja like that.

Chinese speakers use a pinyin input system where they can type the roman letter spelling of the character and select the character.

Chinese in China use pinyin. Taiwanese use bapamafa or however it is called. Anyways, it is totally different.

The more important point is that you probably won't be able to match up verbs well, so you will basically only be typing nouns, in which case, Taiwanese would prefer that you use English. They are generally more proficient than Koreans and MUCH less scared of foreigners than Koreans.

You'd be better off not using hanja in Taiwan, otherwise you will get some really really confused people. If you do speak Chinese, however, than type in Chinese. Some people do use pinyin for typing, but make sure to provide the number corresponding to the proper tone, otherwise it would be total gibberish.