Read 2425 times

Hogwon Notice
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:19:47 pm »
How many months advance notice did you give your hogwon that you wouldn't be renewing your contract with them.

I've got 2.5 months left. I've heard horror stories on how things can get bad once you tell them you're not renewing. Not sure it will happen but what is customary in Korea?

thanks

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
Re: Hogwon Notice
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:05 pm »
If they dont ask, thats their problem.  They should know full well when your contract expires.  Just remind them your last month so they can get your money ready in case they really are sloppy. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:41:53 am »
In a public school and university setting there are reasons to keep things formal and legal with proper advance notice. But in a hogwan, say nothing until the end of the contract. If they ask you say that you're "thinking about it." Don't give them any opportunities to cheat you.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:19:50 am »
Personally, I agree with 2twiceasnice, because you have to watch out for yourself.  Even if they ask you about renewing early, I would also say "yeah, maybe, I'm thinking about it.  I'll let you know later." 

However, by watching out for yourself, you put the hagwon in a tough position, and this may also lead to issues with the following NET.  By telling them you won't renew at the last minute, they have to rush trying to find a replacement.  We always complain about how much we hate it when Koreans tell us things last minute, but here we are advocating that we tell Koreans things last minute.

NETs don't trust hagwons because of the stories we've heard.  Hagwons don't trust NETs because of the stories they've heard.  It's a cycle.  Hagwons have to look out for their best interest just as we have to look out for our best interests. 

If a hagwon wants to renew a NET, but the NET doesn't want to renew, the NET should tell the hagwon at the last minute, because the hagwon may try to cheat and screw us over during the last month or two of the contract.  The hagwon may be resentful at the NET because the NET doesn't want to renew the contract.

If a hagwon doesn't want to renew a NET, the hagwon should tell the NET at the last minute as well.  If they tell the NET about the non-renewal, the NET may be resentful, and slack off and "cheat/screw over" the hagwon by being lazy as possible and trying to get away with it for the last month or two of their contract.

The point I'm trying to make is that both parties (the NET and hagwons) have to look out for their best interests.  Since one party doesn't trust the other, it's best to wait until last minute when it comes to contract renewals. 

I'm not saying the inconvenience caused by both parties are the same. It's pretty hard for us to find the next job.  It's easier for hagwons to contact a recruiter and find a replacement.  In my opinion, the inconvenience caused by the hagwon to the NET is worse than the inconvenience caused by the NET to the hagwon. 

Long story short, watch out for yourself, and don't trust the hagwon, but at the same time, this means the hagwon shouldn't really trust us either.  It's a cycle that feeds itself.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 02:15:02 pm »
Do you suspect them of doing something nasty?

If they have been OK with you through the year then telling them should be fine.

I don't think they expect you to work there forever.

"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• ManceRayder
  • Veteran

• April 18, 2013, 02:46:31 am
    • Seoul satellite city
    more
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:23:51 am »
My contract actually specifies that if I don't give them notice of my intention to leave by a certain point, that I intend to continue on for another year. So, maybe double check you don't have that.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 11:30:16 am »
if they have no reason to fire you (THINK REALLLLLLLY HARD), then wait until the last possible contract date that they can give you notice (of being fired).
for example. if your contract says the Employer must give 30 days notice (after warning you) before termination, then you should wait a month before telling them you wont renew.
this will ensure (contractually) that they wont be able to cut you out of the pension.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:33:31 am »
My contract actually specifies that if I don't give them notice of my intention to leave by a certain point, that I intend to continue on for another year. So, maybe double check you don't have that.

lol well the only legal proof of intent to continue working another year is to sign a new contract for a new year so that clause sounds like a bunch of bs.  Hope the rest of your contract is a bit more legit than that...

OP it's a nice thing to do to give your school notice before you leave but as the other have said, you know your situation best and so you have to decide if that's a good idea or not.  Just do what you need to do and get all your duckies in a row... plan for the worst and hope for the best kinda thing.